+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need new vise

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/web-exclusive.html

This would be a good vise to grab. Buy the Griffin Ped Base at the same time and have both.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Griffin Rules!!!

I have Griffin Montana Mongoose Vise that I would not part with for any amount of money. I got it on EBay for $15.00 + shipping.

As for videos, YouTube.com is the coolest sight online. Hundreds of fly tying How-Tos, fly fishing lessons, fishing lessons, and anything else you might want to learn.

I love my Danvise. I picked up a generic pedistal base for it a year or so ago at Cabela's and will never use a clamp again!
    As far as materials, I try to buy some stuff from my local shops, but also buy from Feather Craft, J. Stockard, and Crazy Angler Tackle. Crazy is a jig tying site for the most part, but I love their chenilles! All three I have listed above have A+ customer service!

If you're looking for patterns to tie, check out the archive here, Fly Fish Ohio, Charlie's Flybox, and Ward Bean's Warmwater Fly Tyer sites.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

AlanB Guest

The Odams Over And Under is one vise in this price range. It has been a workhorse for many years and spare parts are available. If you wanted to use it on a pedistal base you would need to cut the shaft down though.

While pedestal bases are useful and convenient I will not use one. Here is an experiment, try holding your arms up at chest height for 15 minutes or more. Something will start to hurt, shoulders, neck arms or back. If you use a pedestal and want to get your knees under the table this is the position you will be tying in. It is much better to tie with your vice lower. Then your arms are in a relaxed position. How low is very easy to work out. Put your fist under your chin. The point of your elbow is now at the height your vice jaws should sit at. As a pro tier I have a limit to the number of flies I'll tie in a day. Either 10 dozen or 10 hours, whichever comes first, is my limit. I couldn't do this if my vice wasn't set in this way. To achieve this position not only do you need a clamp, but a vise extension that throws the vice out from the table. You may not be tying these quantities of flies, but I suspect you will want to do half a dozen of each pattern. That will mean an hour or two at the vise at a time. Plenty long enough to start to hurt.

Cheers,
    A.

You're getting plenty of replies on a vise, so here's a thought on the rest: I have had excellent experiences with Hook and Hackle and The Fly Shack. I believe it is The Fly Shack that has free shipping on orders of $35 or more. It's worth getting on both the email list and the paper catalog list. Both outfits have very good human beings on the other end, too! Had to call now and then, and the guys were very accomodating.

Blog Entries

I sold my first commercial fly well over 40 years ago and have gone through stages of tying hundreds of dozens on short notice... Sweat shops have eliminated the orders worth tying and only custom or special orders work financially, so I have not been tying commercially much lately... but I have, have had, or have used about every brand and every model of vise anyone can name. I still have a bunch of different vises including a couple Renzettis, Griffins, an HMH, my original Herter's vise, and several others. On this site I have sold or traded a number of vises including Griffin, Regal, and HMH. My new Nor-Vise just trumped the entire lot.

There is nothing the Nor-Vise cannot do better than any other vise, period.

While the price is not in the original poster's range I go this route because I look at all the time I have spent in front of vises and how much more I would have accomplished starting with the best vise first. I would not know what it is like to struggle with mediocre jaws; rotary techniques would be second nature and my speed would be vastly increased; ribs would be perfectly spaced, truly parallel, and laid down that way first time, every time due to the nature of fine tuning the wrap at exactly one point and only one point.

If you are truly going to get serious about tying flies a horizontal-bearing rotary is the minimum initial starting point. There are many vises I have bought that cost more than a Nor-Vise. Knowing me it is unlikely I would have bought just one Vise, even if I started with the Nor-Vise, but there would have been far fewer of them and they would not have been able to fool me into believing they were superior. The Nor-Vise IMHO will make any tyer better.

Buy good stuff and cry once or buy second-rate and cry often...
    YMMV
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The Odams Over And Under is one vise in this price range. It has been a workhorse for many years and spare parts are available. If you wanted to use it on a pedistal base you would need to cut the shaft down though.

While pedestal bases are useful and convenient I will not use one. Here is an experiment, try holding your arms up at chest height for 15 minutes or more. Something will start to hurt, shoulders, neck arms or back. If you use a pedestal and want to get your knees under the table this is the position you will be tying in. It is much better to tie with your vice lower. Then your arms are in a relaxed position. How low is very easy to work out. Put your fist under your chin. The point of your elbow is now at the height your vice jaws should sit at. As a pro tier I have a limit to the number of flies I'll tie in a day. Either 10 dozen or 10 hours, whichever comes first, is my limit. I couldn't do this if my vice wasn't set in this way. To achieve this position not only do you need a clamp, but a vise extension that throws the vice out from the table. You may not be tying these quantities of flies, but I suspect you will want to do half a dozen of each pattern. That will mean an hour or two at the vise at a time. Plenty long enough to start to hurt.

Cheers,
    A.
    I agree with most of what you say about vise height and comfort, but I believe you are locked into just one variable and the whole thing is composed of many variables. Adjustable office chairs make it easy to determine the best height for you. Smaller folks may need to use a lower table or add a box for a foot rest. My bigger problem is getting the vise high enough as I am 6'4".

Getting the height right is a huge key, just realize there are lots of different ways to achieve it.
    art

AlanB Guest

Art,
    The method of determining the height is totally personal. It works regardless of the build of the tier. Also regardless of build you can not get your knees under a table and the vise at a good height on a pedistal on that table. At least not with enough space below the jaws to be able to tie.

If you have problems getting the vice high enough you could turn the extension upside down (So the bend is above the clamp). However I doubt you'd need it as you only have 2 inches on me and I have a good 6 inches left on my vise. A friend of mine uses a similar set up with no problems and he is 6' 11".
    Cheers,
    A.

I got a regal recently and really appreciate the quick hook grabbing of the jaws, without having to stop between hooks and re-adjust them. They are semi-rotary, in that you can turn them back and forth, and I don't need a rotary very often.

+ Reply to Thread