+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new vise

Default Need new vise

Ok I have not tied much in the past few years (mainly just leaches and woolly buggers) but I have had the feeling I want to get back into tying a little more. Well I feel that in order to get back into tying I should reward myself with a new vice. I do not have a lot of money to spend. I will be tying mainly stuff for warm water. Any suggestions for a new vice would be great! Also a good location for videos (I do not have a fly store near me). Also where to buy material.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I can speak to the vise question. I have an HMH Spartan, it's a nice rotory vice at a good price (around $120). My buddy has an HMH Standard. It's got more machining and a nicer shaped base, but otherwise it's about the same, but it's also about $100 more. I like my vice a lot. It works well for my tying and can hold lots of different size hooks. There are also replacement parts available and replacement jaws in two other sizes (midge and huge - that's not really the name, but I can't recall the large jaw set name).

All the best,
    Dave

I forgot to say that I really do need a base and needs to be in the $100 dollar or less range.
    Last edited by Threedayweekend; 06-12-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Look at the Griffin Superior 1A vise at around $50 for a clamp version and $60 for a pedestal base version. Or the Griffin Montana Pro Vise at $80 for clamp and $90 for pedestal version. The Montana Pro holds hooks up to 7/0. The Montana Pro II kit, which includes some tying tools and carry case is $129.

If you want a rotary vise the Griffin Odyssey Spider is around $85 and the Danvise a few $ more. BT's Flyfishing Products, a sponsor of this website is a source for the Danvise. A pedestal base will set you back about another $25-$30.

I have a Renzetti, two Dyna King, and a Regal vise, but if I had to start again on a limited budget I would be quite happy with the Griffin vises or Danvise.

If you look at the sponsor page for this website you will find a number of online sources for materials including Hook and Hackle and J. Stockard. Another favorite of mine is Cascade Crest Tools, which has a great selection of vises, tools, and materials.

You can find a lot of instructional videos on youtube and there are some great ones here

www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx
    Last edited by tailingloop; 06-12-2011 at 10:53 PM.

The flyfishohio website has an excellent review of vises in your price range. I suggest you check it out before buying. Another board member has a Dynaking Trekker for sale in the for sale section. It's a little out of your desired price range at $150 but it is a great vise, and a good price, as new ones sell for $230. Don't skimp on a vise. A good one will last a lifetime and a poor one will drive you nuts.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Threedayweekend View Post
    I do not have a lot of money to spend.
    ....I have a Regal non-rotary and a Nor. I use the Regal until I need real rotary capabilities (which for me is frequently).
    And then I use the Nor. Someday soon I'll pop for a Regal Revolution and then I won't need the Nor again.
    They aren't cheap. But that's the vise I wish I had.

I also have a Renzetti Traveler. It's a good simple vise and it didn't cost a lot.

Do I need a rotary vise?

Blog Entries

The quick answer is no, but you can certainly find a good vise in that price range that will meet your needs. Someday, you can sell it here and move up. For now, just visit sites that sell vises and then ask questions and google for more info. Shop around, you will then be able to make the choice that you can both afford and also enjoy.
    Last edited by DaveMac; 06-12-2011 at 11:43 PM.

3day, My vise is a danvise purchased from BTs. They are sponsors on this site. It is a true rotary vise but works very well locked in the stationary position. I bought Al's book on using rotary vises as well. Call or email Al and Gretchen Beatty and ask them about it or check it out on their website. Jim

PS: The vise including shipping was around a hundred bucks.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I did not have rotary for many years and was just fine with that. I found a Regal clone somewhere (hopefully the sponsors carry it) and it was an excellent vise. I could turn it to look at all sides and angles of the fly but tied with it stationary. The jaws clamped quickly and held as tight as you would ever need. J Stockard stocks them as a house brand for about $35.00. I only switched to a Renzetti because of a great buy found here on FAOL and I gave away the other.

+ Reply to Thread