+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting post I came across

Question Interesting post I came across

I saw this post on another ffishing site and just had to see what you guys and dolls say about it. The post was two fold. The first thing was that there was no need to ever fish gills, LM, SM, crappie, perch, ect with a top water fly. That is if you concentrated on sub surface flies that you could double if not triple the amount of fish you can catch. The second comment was that any fly used for warm water should have rubber legs. This was because the action of the legs made any fly more life like. I thought these were two very different points of view. I personally do use subsurface flies more than top water stuff but I do feel that there is always a time and place when top water stuff is the way to go. After looking at my "got to flies" I only had on "dry fly" and that was an orange stimulator. Now for the rubber leg thing. I went back and looked at my "go to flies" and all but two had rubber legs. The only two that did not were a leach pattern and an orange stimulator. I think in a strange miss guided way the person who wrote this is kinda got some good points. What do ya'll think?
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I fish bass and panfish year round here in southern California. For much of the year, topwater presentations are mostly a waste of time if I want to catch fish. During the late spring through early fall months when topwater is most productive, it still tends to be a poor choice from late morning to early evening except for really small fish. Most of the reservoirs have pretty clear water and the fish retreat into the depths or into deep cover. I prefer to fish topwater, and will often fish topwater when I know the odds are not in my favor, but 90% of my bass and panfish catches are on subsurface patterns, often fished as deep as 20ft.

I tie many flies with rubber or silicone legs but I don't notice much difference in catch rates between flies with or without legs. I always incorporate materials that provide motion in the water such as marabou, webby saddle hackle, bucktail, angora goat, rabbit fur, or very fine synthetics like simi-seal. I often omit rubber or silicone legs on topwater patterns because tiny bluegill will often grab the legs and yank the flies around, which I find annoying but probably doesn't hurt anything.

Blog Entries

I think he is right on about sub surface flies catching most of the fish. thats where the fish are, put the fly in front of them you will most likely catch them. warm water fish cant be choosy in the environment they live in. if it looks like food they have to try it or starve. I dont use many flies with rubber legs so I cant realy comment on that part of the message.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I basically agree with the first item (no need to fish dry flies) unless you want to. Catching any fish on a dry fly is a lot of fun, so if you can get your fill of fishing with the dry why not go for it. As far the the rubber legs most of the flies I use do not have them. I think that if I can put something shiny in the fly it will preform to my satisfaction.

Tim

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Folk, I've got to agree that subsurface flies can catch a lot of fish but I clean up on Lake Hartwell (very large, deep Southern reservoir) Spring, Summer and Fall with #12-#8 Gurgle Pops. If things get too slow on the surface, I hang a natural colored dropper 18"-24" from the bend of the hook. I couldn't give up the excitement of watching gills and bass slam surface flies. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

For thye whole seazson I catch more fish subsurface. I still have fun catching them on the surface.
    Alot of my gill patterns do not have rubber legs on them. Those that do have shorter legs than most commercial patterns have.

Rick

When the condition are right and the fish are willing it is a hoot to catch them on top. That being said I probably fish on top less than ten percent of the time. I use marabou , rabbit or pine squirrel zonkers for movement on the fly more than rubbers legs.

If I want to catch the most fish, I wouldn't use fly tackle in the first place. I fish topwater because it's fun, not because it's the most productive.

+ Reply to Thread