+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At last, some new hoppers

Oh Yeah , now it looks like a fly. It may not catch anymore, but it will look better ( to me anyway ) in your flybox.

Nice pattern. I like it.

But I can tell by its appearance that's a relatively dense foam. Wholesalers categorize foam but the underlying resin (eva or ethylenevinyacetate, polyethelene, etc) and by its density. I'd guess that's 4lbs per cubic foot foam, which is about the lightest I've seen in fly shops (Evazote, for instance).

But you can get EVA foam as light as 2lbs per cubic foot. Why don't the fly shops sell it? Fly tying thread will typically cut through 2lbs per cubic foot foam if you try to lash it down tightly, which fly tiers tend to do by knee jerk habit. The trick to 2lbs per cubic foot foam is to lash it down loosely. And then to secure it with a strategically placed drop of thin CA glue.

2lbs per cubic foot foam is so light you can use a hopper as a bobber for a big heavy nymph. It makes a huge difference. Retail sources for 2lbs per cubic foot EVA are hard to find. Some day I hope some distributor takes a chance on it. I've been using it for 25 years. I bought 300 dollars worth of it that long ago, for use as boat seat cushions. Hoppers made with ultra light (2lbs per cubic foot) will surprise you. You can mend the line and sink the hopper in fast water. And two seconds later it's back on top again--even when dragging an extra heavy nymph. Half as dense means "floats twice as well."

I got 2lbs per cubic foot EVA from Industrial Rubber in Seattle. But they are wholesale only. And even then they aren't interested in one-time-only sales. They want you to set up a net thirty account, and to be a recurring customer. Someday you'll be able to get it. And you'll never want to use anything else ever again.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 06-13-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfisha View Post
    I took them out yesterday, and they caught 2. Casting wasn't a big issue; less than half of the time it flipped on it's side.
    But today I tied one with wings, watcha think? The wing is supreme hair with some black flash, and plastic bag material over-top of that, though it normally hugs the wing material (as the photo doesn't show.)
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...a/P6130640.jpg
    That, that should have your name on it and be sold through Umpqua or Orvis.

I found the place I saw it first at.
    http://bigbluegill.com/forum/topics/...-bluegill-by-a
    I also found step by step instructions.
    http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=40665#
    Last edited by Panfisha; 06-13-2011 at 09:11 PM.

It is a good looking fly. Couldn't open up the SBS from FTYF. Looks like the body is done separately with two layers of foam and then a head/torso/belly overlay goes over and under the hook?

If so, any issues with hooking? I've tried to say away from tying under the hook - particularly on smaller terrestrials (like size 12 crickets) in order to maximize gap space. I've had hooking problems with the Charlie Boy Hopper and have since opted for the Park's GFA Hopper tied in tan and black. The GFA is easy to tie and everything is on top of the shank.

Awesome design. I would love to get a sample to photograph for my own Website. I have about 16 patterns collected from other ff-ers here:
    http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Hoppers.htm
    Any chance I could get one of yours to add to the list?

Peter F.

Peter F,

I was thrilled to see a post from you! I have had your web site on my "Favorities" list for many years and have always enjoyed reviewing you site. Your tying and ideas are always fantastic! I have used your Mini Jig on several occasions and it is always in my fly box as one of my "go to" flies in fast water situations. The Peacock and Herl is another one of my favorities. Keep up the great work.

Folks, if you have not viewed Peter's photos, you are missing some beautiful work. Just "click" on the photo link in his signature in his post. Great photos!
    Last edited by WarrenP; 06-15-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Warren, good to hear from you

Thanks for the "shout out", Warren. Glad you're still going to my Web site. It's 10 years old this year! Hope all is well with you. Glad you like the photos, too.

Peter F.

Them in yellow would work great here or a coal black one early mornin
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Peter,

Praise goes where praise is deserved and your Web site is great! Your Hare & Herl pattern is still a "go-to" for me plus the Mini Jig. Your Web site is neat and layed out nice with good articles and flies. Great job on your behalf. Keep up the good work.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread