+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WF or DT ?

Bruce Richards, who knows a bit about fly lines, wrote the following two articles:

www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.php

www.danblanton.com/WFvsDT.html

Most of the line Manufactures publish the technical details and measurements of their line tapers on their websites and/or print catalogs. If you look up this material you will find that the front 30 to 40 of basic WF and DT lines are often the same, in which cases there is no difference in performance until you get into the back taper of the WF line.

Now there are many specialty tapers available that it is difficult to make a blanket statement that a WF or DT is better for presentation. For instance some DT lines have a longer front taper for more delicate presentations. But some WF lines do too. In my fishing I really haven't found there to be a significant difference, the ability to make a good cast having a greater impact on presentation.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Texfly,

This is one of those questions that you are never going to get agreement on. If you get thirty responses, there will be at least twenty differing opinions. So let me add my opinion and bring the total to 21 different points of views. I use WF on everything except my #1 weight rod because DT line came with that outfit and I'm a little afraid of stressing such a light system. Everything else I own from a #2 weight, all the way up to a pair on #9 weights is lined with WF line. If I find that I will need a more delicate cast, I adjust the cast itself. I decrease the power of the cast that I use, make sure that the line straightens out in the air before it drops on the water, and try to shorten the casting distance by carefully wading, bank creeping and general stealth (as much as an old, fat guy can muster). I don't think that your ultimate choice of WF or DT will make all that much difference in your fishing success. I hope this helps---good luck! 8T

My take on these lines is that the tapers incorporated in the designs are a bit oversold. I really can't think of what can not be accomplished by an L line, a Level Taper along with a balanced leader to match whats on the end of the manufactured lines to produce a nice gentile extension and presentation.

One quality of a fly line I always looked for was that it float. The plastic lines float relative to the amount of air bubbles incorporated in the line, hence fatter line, more bubbles, thinner line less bubbles. As the line tapers there are fewer bubbles to float the line (the tips sink). A level line has no taper and the bubbles go to the tip to insure it's float-ability. A plus. I think what's bad about the WF is that it's more dense at both ends and sinks at both ends, something I wasn't after.

The question of weight distribution in a lines design occurred to me after switching from a DT to a WF when I was experimenting with streamers and skating flies. I made longer casts to the far bank in these experiments and was out past the normal 30 ft. range of the normal designs. The subtle rod tip movements I was able to give to the fly at distance with the DT were not possible with thin running line of the WF. The rod movements simply died in the thin running line. It was a disappointment. I was convinced the DT was the line for me. Really..in the air neither line made any difference to me. It was on the water, where controlling the line made it important.

In my opinion, I think that fly lines are designed basically for the Dry Fly fisherman on moving water that floats a #14 hackled fly on the surface with enough esses or curves in the end of the subtle line to provide a drag free float and the rest of the fly fishing community just has to work around it. So to my way of thinking that's what your paying for and that's the way it is.

PS: After you turn your DT around for the last time, don't throw it away. Chop all the cracked taper off of it and use it with the blunt end that still has the life of the line left in it usually thought of as worthless and I'll bet you really can't tell the difference.
    But by all means if you got the cash, buy a new fly-line, no biggy.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Texfly,

This is one of those questions that you are never going to get agreement on. If you get thirty responses, there will be at least twenty differing opinions. So let me add my opinion and bring the total to 21 different points of views. I use WF on everything except my #1 weight rod because DT line came with that outfit and I'm a little afraid of stressing such a light system. Everything else I own from a #2 weight, all the way up to a pair on #9 weights is lined with WF line. If I find that I will need a more delicate cast, I adjust the cast itself. I decrease the power of the cast that I use, make sure that the line straightens out in the air before it drops on the water, and try to shorten the casting distance by carefully wading, bank creeping and general stealth (as much as an old, fat guy can muster). I don't think that your ultimate choice of WF or DT will make all that much difference in your fishing success. I hope this helps---good luck! 8T

Absolutely my take. So heck with it, just get a Triangle Taper...LOL

I'm surprised to see any debate on this topic. It is really very simple for me. If your running line leaves your reel during your casting often or occasionally, WF is best for you. If your running line stays on your reel always or almost always, a DT will be more economical. The line that stays on your reel has absolutely no effect on your casting or fishing. It is not a matter of which is best in the absolute. It is a matter of which best fits your personal fishing needs.

I'm sure really good casters can see a difference by using some of the newer specialty tapers. Sadly, I am not a really good caster, so I can't.

Happily, I can cast further than 30'. But I fish moving waters for trout almost exclusively and I can't get good drifts with more than a 30' cast. And I'm frugal. So a DT is best for me. It might not be best for you.

I've also discovered that I was disappointed by the performance or the value of the lines I have tried other than the Cortland Classic Peach 444, so I'm now loyal to this line. But I sure would not argue with somebody who has a line that fits them better. I might argue with a recommendation for a line that I know has huge memory problems when fished in cold weather, but not if that person intended to use that line in Louisiana.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I would love to go fishing and do so with just dries. Sadly, on every outing I do end up adding a nymph at one point or another.
    FG, I thought you attached a sleek nymph every time you picked up fly rod.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    FG, I thought you attached a sleek nymph every time you picked up fly rod.

Ed
    Only about 98%..Love Dry Dropper, but did I tell you of the times I have doubled by using a dry as a dropper off another dry.
    My dream is to land a Henry's Hybrid on a dry off the lake.......

I use primarily WF lines. The reason; I fish some streams and rivers that are wider than my casting distance, and those streams and rivers typically have some high winds. When I fish lakes, I also prefer WF lines because it's typically tough to sneak up on a rising fish so I need longer casts. When I'm trolling behind my pontoon, it's easier to cast most of the distance needed to get to the required depth to troll, rather than feed line out by hand.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I'm surprised to see any debate on this topic. It is really very simple for me. If your running line leaves your reel during your casting often or occasionally, WF is best for you. If your running line stays on your reel always or almost always, a DT will be more economical. The line that stays on your reel has absolutely no effect on your casting or fishing. It is not a matter of which is best in the absolute. It is a matter of which best fits your personal fishing needs.
    Ding, ding.

+ Reply to Thread