+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boat

Default New boat

I have just gotten a Sevylor Tahiti inflatable 2man kayak. It's very good, stable and easy to paddle. Used it at the SEKS fish in with some success. Now I need some mild custom addons. A decent seat that doesn't cost a fortune is first. Rod holders and other such amenities are next. I could do this on a rigid but airfilled is different. I need advice on how to add stuff, suggestions welcome. Thanx!

Blog Entries

greenlantern,

I take it this is the kayak you bought http://www.sevylor.com/Tahiti-Classi...-P1813C41.aspx

I can see where you would want to upgrade the seat, for ease on your back. It will be interesting to see any suggestions regarding the rod holder.

I use Scotty's rod holder on my pontoon boat and WaterMaster raft, but I don't think it would work on the kayak. The strap fits all the way around on the bladder of the pontoon boat, but I think it may push in the shape of the kayak.

Have fun paddeling.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Not sure what the material is on your boat, but I just added these to mine:

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-144p53153.htm

It does require a two part glue though. While I was at it, I also added some more D rings.
    And I already had the Scotty Rod holders :

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...rs/fly-rod.htm

This glue on has stainless nuts on the back side so they are underneath the glue on pad. Easy mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    greenlantern,

I take it this is the kayak you bought http://www.sevylor.com/Tahiti-Classi...-P1813C41.aspx

I can see where you would want to upgrade the seat, for ease on your back. It will be interesting to see any suggestions regarding the rod holder.

I use Scotty's rod holder on my pontoon boat and WaterMaster raft, but I don't think it would work on the kayak. The strap fits all the way around on the bladder of the pontoon boat, but I think it may push in the shape of the kayak.

Have fun paddeling.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry,
    Sort of, mine is the hunt/fish version , which means it's olive drab but otherwise the same. You are right about a strap, it would probably distort the hull. I'm thinking about small diameter pvc attached to the spray shield tie downs, but removeable. Maybe glue on some Velcro straps. Another question is this; I saw a backbone brace for a high end inflatable it was made from aluminum, in 4 piecesthat made the hull stiffer. Do you think a pvc copy would work on mine?
    Joe

PVC would probably work, however it could break and splinter into something that could puncture your boat. Use the PVC carefully
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

PVC won't splinter. Get Schedule 20. This guy has made PVC his life's work:

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    PVC won't splinter. Get Schedule 20. This guy has made PVC his life's work:

I can just barely see the kitchen sink!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

That gentleman or lady must that written his dissertation on "Alternate uses of PVC piping" when he got his PhD in Redneck Engineering. That's amazing, I still haven't found the sink or the satelite dish.

To take a quote from the movie Jaws "We're going to need a bigger boat."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

He is actually a large man. And is running a full sized #27 battery for that motor. He does however have to boat bumpers under the boat for extra floatation. It truly is something to behold.

Is there actually room for a person in there? I have found a seat at Target. It's a miniture lawn chair called a sand chair. The way the bottom of the legs are bent, it won't puncture the vinyl shell, and I have some other ideas for that. Things could be shaping up nicely.

+ Reply to Thread