What a great time!

First, the FAOL crowd was there. Kevin was right across from me tying, so it felt like home, and Royce was a friend all weekend. I didn't get to visit as much with our Parnelli and so many of you who came by as things were pretty consistently busy at the furling table, but it was so nice to even say hi. (Sorry if I leave out names)

Tom Helgeson, with Lew Beccone and the rest of the Midwest Fly Fishing crew, put together an amazing array of offerings, IMHO, from Brian O'Keefe on photography with a Wayne Bartz work session, to Diana Rudolf on salt (who says young people aren't into fly fishing?), to many others. For a look at all that, there are photos on the blog at:
[url=http://greatwaters.blogspot.com/:88813]http://greatwaters.blogspot.com/[/url:88813]

Unfortunately, I didn't get to anything except the booths before the doors opened or afterwards, and the Writers Panel and the Women's Fly Fishing, both well attended. I shared space with Jerry Kustich, an old friend and formerly of Winston now of Sweetgrass Rods, a treat for me, and we were near Gaylord... man! what's his last name?... the author of the incredible Mayflies woodcut book. Annette from Winston was good fun and a wealth of information. Bob and Lisa White were there with their exquisite art. So much to see. There was even an area working with painfree casting from an exercise and streatching point of view.

At 5pm on Saturday, everything focused on Will Steger, polar explorer and one of my heros from way back. Even though he's not a fly angler, he had a "we're all together in making sure this lasts" message that was an honor to hear.

The Dr. Tom Waters Conservation Award was given that night to Trout Unlimited for the work on the DARE initiative, and the reception capped the day perfectly.

This is not like any fly fishing show I've experienced anywhere... the variety is second to none, and the warmth in welcome by the Upper Midwest well worth the long hours on the planes to me.

Kat

[This message has been edited by Kathy Scott (edited 04 April 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathy Scott (edited 04 April 2006).]