+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Even More Saltwater Questions

Hybrid View

Question Even More Saltwater Questions

Been advised to overline my 8 wt for Bone fish with:
    Monic GSP SKYline Bonefish/Permit Fly Line - 9wt

Whatdaya think?

No. Over-lining will slow down the action of the rod and make it harder to cast. Why would you want to do that? Secondly, I'm not fond of the Monic lines, they seem to behave like bubble gum going through the guides. You might want to rethink that one too. Good luck!

It depends...

If you expect most of your casts to be pretty short, say around 30 feet or so, then you may have difficulty getting many of today's faster rods to properly load with only 10 or 15 feet of line out of the tip of the rod. Many saltwater fishermen will overline a rod in this case to help them make a quicker short cast. By overlining the rod, you may have difficulty making longer casts since the rod may be overloaded when you get 60 feet of line out of the tip.

What fishing conditions do you expect? Will you be on a boat or wading? You can generally expect shorter casts when wade fishing. Does your rod load properly for short casts with the recommended line weight? Would overlining it overload the rod for longer casts? You need to evaluate your fishing situation and experiment with your rod to see how it behaves for you.

I agree with LadyFisher about the monic lines; they seem sticky and this is only made worse if you are fishing from a boat and the line sits in the hot sun. If you are wade fishing, get a "saltwater" line. If you are fishing from a boat, get a "bonefish" line. The bonefish lines are stiffer and behave properly when warmed by the sun on the deck of a boat.

Regards,
    Ted

Absolutely no need to overline the rod with any line. You will be using fairly small flies for bonefish and presentation is important. I can't imagine why anyone would even suggest it unless they have a 9wt line they are trying to get rid of.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Been advised to overline my 8 wt for Bone fish with:
    Monic GSP SKYline Bonefish/Permit Fly Line - 9wt

Whatdaya think?
    Are you casting a rod similar to an old Orvis Shooting Star bamboo rod that you need to slow down to get the line to flex further into the handle of the rod for longer casts ?

I fish only tropical saltwater locations and I fish several days a week. Unless you are using a VERY stiff rod, you do not need to overline. If you are fishing a name brand quality rod, you do not need to overline. If all of your shots are in the 30-40 foot range (impossible when fishing for bonefish), you might overline one weight. When fishing saltwater, always use a saltwater rated fly line of the best quality you can afford (IMHO, Monic is not the best quality). When fishing a tropical location ALWAYS use a tropical saltwater line. The brands I would recommend are Cortland, Scientific Anglers and Rio in no set order. You are probably spending a good bit of money on your trip...don't ruin your fun by usning a cheap fly line...once you get to the water, your fishing enjoyment may depend on your choice of line.
    Last edited by pescamexicana; 09-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.

I use the Air Flo Ridge Bonefish line, casts great, tangles less and really has held up in the saltwater for me. And I would stick with the same line weight as the rod is made for.

+ Reply to Thread