+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carpers get ready

Default carpers get ready

mulberries are on the trees now!

I was thinking more along the lines of getting the old bed sheet out and shaking those trees. Then we can make some PIE!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I think you've got the right idea, Zac, but it's true the carp do love those berries. THey,ve been in full swing here for about two weeks now.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Oh I know, Tim! I'm just sayin.... this fat kid thinks PIE ala mode right off the bat when I see mulberries. Grandma can whip up a dang good one.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Do y'all use the native, red mulberries or the imported purple or white species?

Ed

P.S. Do the carp up there go for hackberries when they fall, or do the birds eat them all off the trees?
    Last edited by EdD; 06-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Cottonwood (basswood?) is flying here too... when it stacks up in eddy pools the carp are not far and will willingly take drys as they are slurping up the fluffs - if you don't spook them in the process that is.

My kids love picking berries off a few bushes (i think it is called bushberry - but not positive) in my yard and throwing them in my pond. This would be about mid-summer when the berries turn red. After they throw a few hundred in, the catfish will come in and gorge on them!!!
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

I have one tree that's available to me near the water, and it's been a consistent producer 0f carp on dry flies for many years. I've been watching it for two weeks. The birds are on the green berries already! I love having to be stealthy to allow the birds and the squirrels to knock berries in the water (my animal chums) , then cast to the swirling carp. Not quite cheating....

Charlie

Ed-- we've got all three around here so it usually winds up a mixed bag. I also like to throw in some gooseberries to add a little tartness to the mix since the seasons overlap here.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the post (s) on carp. I hate to admit this to anyone but the last time I was skunked fishing (two years ago) was in my attempt at carp.

I am now sidetracted from fishing but the fish that calls to me the most is....yep carp. It's the one fish that I haven't caught in my home waters.

Sometimes at night when I am driving along the river I hear them laughing at me...taunting me.

Got to go the Yanks are playing the Tribe. They cleared the benches last night.

Thanks again
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

My dog must think she's a carp! When I take her outside to go to the bathroom, I can't get her out from under that tree!

+ Reply to Thread