+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam cleats

Default Cam cleats

I have always had a problem anchoring my canoe and have been looking for a way to anchor both ends from my seat. Found the answer http://www.basspro.com/Replacement-K...25377/-1767455. I bought the Jr size it is hooded so the anchor line wont come out. I used 5# dumbells bought at Walmart and it worked great at the fish-in. I can drop 25' of anchor line in seconds and all you have to do is pull the line down and it bites in and is locked. Then you can one hand the line up if you want, it will lock when you let go. Quivira kid can tell you how good they work, he was in the canoe with me.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

I've been looking for something like this also. What type of rope are you using and how long have you had the cleats? How did you mount them, they look too long to have both end screws in the canoe spreader bar.

I'm also wondering about rope wear, I've been using a standard cleat and, because its metal and starting to rust slightly, it's starting to fray the poly prop rope I've been using. I was thinking of using the quarter round cam cleats but haven't been able to find them or any one that is using them.

They are2 about 2" long I am using 1/8 braided nylon rope. I will post pics when I get home today. No idea on wear just installed them a week ago.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Blog Entries

Steve,

Most guides using drift boats us a cleated system to hold their anchors and it works great, Theirs has a foot release so they just have to step on it to release the rope to drop anchor.

Make sure you have a knot in the end of the rope. Sometimes the rope works its way out of the holder and will slowly slide out, no knot, no rope.

If you are using this in moving water make sure you have a very sharp knive to cut the anchor cord if you need to. Anchors sometimes get stuck on the bottom or the water may be too fast and it can actually drab your boat under water.

Larry ---sagefisher---

The past 3 or 4 years I have used a cam cleat with a dog leash for the anchor line. It has worked out great and I haven't had to replace the cleat yet.

I have anchors coming out both front and back. Larry is dead on about being careful in moving water. having an anchor stick in heavy current is a great way to die.

Here is my set up. You might have to scroll down to get to it...

http://www.derekspace.net/fishpic19.htm#anch

I agree with the advice on having a method of cutting the anchor line, but do not particularly like a sharp pointed knife around my pontoon. If you can figure out where to buy one or two of these film cutter they would appear to be excellent for that purpose unless you are using some serious line for your anchor. I could sell you a box of 100 but not just one, I'm afraid that's a problem with finding it. They are about half a dollar and designed for warehouse work cutting plastic wrap off cartons.
    Plastic wrap cutter.JPG
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Here are the cleats installed on my canoe. I fish still water lakes, pits and ponds. If I ever get into flowing water I will remember the advice to keep a knife handy. The cleats are held in place with 3" stainless screws and nyloc nuts So I don't need to worry about them coming undone. I have one front and rear so I can anchor solid. 002.jpg003.jpg001.jpg
    Last edited by steveks; 06-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.

steveks, good job! The anchor line is dead center with the keel line.

Uncle Jesse, love your idea of the film cutter! Never thought of that. I use scissors that have plastic covering the tips but your idea is hands down safer, easier, and faster. Thanks!

Boyscout

I don't like sharp pointy things around my balloons. Accident happen. A Wyoming gut hook would probably be perfect.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

There are Cam Cleats, but what you are referring to and showing are "CLAM Cleats".
    Max

+ Reply to Thread