+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam cleats

i would call them jam cleats

Cam cleats are different from clam cleats. As catamaran sailor I preferred cam cleats for things where I had to reposition my hands a lot and did not have use of both hands to do the job.

this page shows cam cleats and clam cleats as well as jam cleats

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...Search?Ns=Most Popular|0

the above search result probably will fail in a few days so here is an example of a cam cleat:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10239
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

I have used this type of cam cleat

They are common on sail boats. The wire in front is optional and the ones I use don't have that guide. The cams are spring loaded and will grip on different sized lines. Buy the smaller ones for a kayak or canoe. The line always pops out and a knife is never needed.

A friend of mine is a wooden boat builder and very talented wood worker. For his solo boat, he constructed a contraption that fits on the fore and aft deck with a pulley roller that he runs his anchor line through. Then attached a open CAM cleat that he can lock off the anchor with. He uses both the fore and aft so he can keep the canoe positioned the way he likes. It's pretty brilliant and I think he said he stole or improved on someone else's idea but the only thing he had to drill was the thwart for the cam cleat. The contraptions on the bow and stern stay put without tension and can be taken off when not used. I'll try to find pics.

I have a bass pro gift card and will be using it now..need to upgrade the toon for lakes...I like to wind troll flies and this will work to drop the anchor fast, Thanks for the ideas..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread