+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pennsylvania

Hybrid View

Default Pennsylvania

If all goes as planned for work I'll be spending some time in Penn State and I'm going to do my best to get my little 3wt on the plane with me

I'd like to bother you guys from up Northeast and see if you can offer some suggestions on some decent places to go spend time in what mother nature has put for us to see and maybe even catch a trout or two, maybe some flyshops to visit. The backpack is going with me so I don't mind taking a hike to get into some areas, I like to get away from people and prefer small streams over lakes or slack water.

So far for work I've got to spend 3 months in Louisiana and while I got to take my yak and had a blast with Red's I don't miss the humidity at all! any suggestion on clothing for the Penn State would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fella's in advance for any help you can offer. Later,

Kirk

Kirk - drop me a PM. I went to Penn State and can give you some pointers.

Chris---I don't think he meant the bars----
    You gotta send him to Spring creek. Penns is doing pretty good right now from what I hear and the---green drakes----have hit the Pine. Sheeesh, just what I wanna hear. A friend of mine dropped me a few pics of the drakes and spinners on the water.

Randy

Go to Fly Fisher's Paradise fly shop when you get to State College, and ask their advice on local fishing conditions, and directions. If you want to hike some and fish, Penns Creek near Poe Paddy would be my first choice, followed by the Little Juniata at Barree. The Mid State trail system follows both streams there. There's also Big Fishing Creek at Lamar and Spring Creek close by.

A great place to start is TCO flyshop right on College Ave:

2030 East College Ave
    State College, PA 16801
    (814) 689-3654

From there you are literally minutes from Spring Creek at Benner Springs. The Sulphurs should be coming off now fairly heavy. The shop can fill you in on current water and hatch activity.

Enjoy!...I'm jealous. Plan to be up there around the end of the month myself.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Go to Fly Fisher's Paradise fly shop when you get to State College, and ask their advice on local fishing conditions, and directions. If you want to hike some and fish, Penns Creek near Poe Paddy would be my first choice, followed by the Little Juniata at Barree. The Mid State trail system follows both streams there. There's also Big Fishing Creek at Lamar and Spring Creek close by.
    Better yet go to their site and join their board:

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/ph...pBB3/index.php

You are going to be in the middle of a fly fishing mecca! Spring Creek, Spruce Creek, Penn's Creek, Little Juniata, Kettle Creek, Sinnemahoning Creek, Pine Creek, Black Moshannon, Bald Eagle Creek, Raystown Lake and boat load of other great cold/warm water palces to fish.

This is the one to hit in State College:

http://fishandboat.com/images/fisher...benner-sfh.htm

Spring Creek is awesome but the trout there can be realy tough to catch. That is where the guys at Fly Fisher's Paradise and TCO will be your best friends.
    You absolutely must match the hatch as it changes through the day.
    My boss told me that crossing me is like playing with DET cord.

Those bars don't have those poor girls working their way thru school and need help buying books are they? lol

Thanks for the great advice now I'm just waiting on the paperwork from work, I told them I needed the details in writing! I guess they got offended but oh well. Later,

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread