+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Tying Desk

Hybrid View

Default Fantastic Tying Desk

Take a look at this amazing tying desk and cabinent someone posted over on the fiberglass forum.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com...n-for-woodwork

Awesome. Can you believe the obnoxious sign?

Does anyone know of a thread on this board where tying desks are shared? Just looking for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by jdConrad,MT View Post

Does anyone know of a thread on this board where tying desks are shared? Just looking for ideas.
    I'd use the "advanced search" function on Google - type in "tying desk" and then put "flyanglersonline.com" within the "Search within a site or domain" line; does a much better job than the search function here. By the way, that's a pretty nice piece of cabinetmaking, but the oak work surface would make a pretty poor background; think I'd have to rig up something with formica in a muted color.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 06-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdConrad,MT View Post

JD,
    Check out this link for a bunch of setups.

http://www.guysfliesandpies.com/desks.shtml

Dave

That is some tying desk for sure. Don't think it will fit under my ceiling, LOL! Would love to have one like that though as my stuff fills a whole room and is in many plastic cabinets which I fear for all the time.

I had a huge problem after the first of this year and almost couldn't tie. I tore my really injured my shoulder 18 years ago, but adapted to that and it didn't give me trouble tying until this year and then it really did. Had MRI and Doc said I have a massive tear in my rotator cuff, but I also have some heart issues so he didn't want to do surgery at all. Then he ask if I had lowered my vise for tying and I really had thought about it, but just had not. So a friend came over and made a step down for me attached to the table I tie on and that was like magic. Anyway here is a picture and I know there are 2 vises shown, but the Peak goes when I tie my jigs and the Peak I put here to rope dub tie with as I can make it even lower which helps me. Here are a could picks of my station and room. Under my table is full of boxes full of very high quality saddles and capes with a couple of full skins in there too. However the room is full also on both ends you can't see.
    Skip

Then just one from the other side and will not put all sides in right now...

Skip48... Tell me kind sir... from this wonderful wonderland of tying materials how you tie? Do you tie twelve or twenty-four flies at a time or do you tie a fly and move on to something else?

The reason I ask is because my room is beginning to look much the same... and I tend to do the latter.

Michael

Mostly I tie crappie jigs and I keep really too busy with that so lots of repeat stuff. The flies I sell some if someone sees them on my site and wants some, but my flies I tie mostly for my enjoyment. I took this up as a total hobby for something to do when I stopped stock trading and started with the jigs and someone ask if I sold them and I said no, but guess I could. So put my web site up and after about 1 1/2 years I have been behind ever since.
    I bought the rope dub DVD last July and have been trying to find time to really get into that more and even maybe some jigs based on that, but really it's mostly for me and the jig thing has kind of got out of control, but am reeling it in some now.

As for do I tie one and move on, well kind of, but I am subject to tie as many as it takes to get where I like the out come and then move on to another. I am always looking for things I can dream up to tie which I know most have been tied before, but if I have not sent hem at least what I do is something I came up with and am happy with that. I guess every time I see new materials I don't have I start to think of what I can do with them and soon my OCD takes over, LOL!

Oh forgot to say this is really a wonderful hobby and never run out of something to tie that is new so I just love it.

Skip

I like this one too (copied from an another post, long ago):

Last edited by pittendrigh; 06-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    I like this one too (copied from an another post, long ago):

Love it! Now THAT right there looks pretty similar to my tying desk! I've got a big pile of "parts" and pieces I just KNOW I'll find a use for in some fly pattern or other one day soon!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Hey,

Who snuck into my house and took a picture of my tying desk? But wait, no Nor-Vise, so I guess it isn't my desk after all.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread