+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE? - Ladyfisher - June 06, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE? - Ladyfisher - June 06, 2011

DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

The April 2011 issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader, a long-time sponsor here has some really neat features. If you don't read it you are missing out on some really good tips. Yes, it is not specifically intended for fly fishers BUT it always has some articles which do apply to us. The last article, Just One More Cast is all about a 200 Fish Flat Fish. Now wait, yes I do know a Flat Fish is not a fly.*
    Last edited by rtidd; 06-06-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Default Answer to "Does It Make A Difference!"

Yes it does, make a difference! It make a very big difference! ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

......."Every river and every fish have their go-to colors, the trick is to manage the color for those fish and the conditions."

Very true, whether it is bait, lures or flies. I never discount any other fishing methods when it comes to learning water.

Ladyfisher brought it up. What do the other fishermen do? I will just throw out a few stories featuring the more unusual things I have heard or seen.

First there is WD 40. Top walleye guide on Lake Eire sprays down his rigged nitecrawlers with this before setting then out. Salmon trollers who work the mouths of northwestern rivers do the same with their crankbaits. If we remember that WD 40 was developed as a cleaner, that may tell us why it works.

In contrast with those who clean "skunked" lures, founder of the well known lure company, Tom Mann always went out of his way to reuse plastic worms on which he had caught fish. He believed each fish he caught deposited some very attractive smelling slime on his bait.

Taking an oposite tack, legendary structure guru, Buck Perry used to dip Spoonplugs in gasoline and procede to catch fish. This was to prove that game fish are site feeders and that scent had no place in his set of important controls-depth, speed, size, color, action.

Moving back to fly fishing, Dave Whitlock recommended throughly scrubbing flies with stream bottom muck to clean them and make them smell like their environment.

These are the most unusual ones I have heard, and they lie at opposite ends of the spectrum. Since these practices come from successful anglers, there may be something to them. I don't think the specific practice makes the difference. The person who pays attention to these details probably is well focused on fishing and pays attention to a lot of details. That "whatever it takes" mindset makes the difference.
    Last edited by Bear742; 06-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Bear742

There was another article written a number of years ago here on FAOL that discussed scent. It was a very interesting article describing scents, negative and positive and how to neutralize scent on your hands and flies. One of the more interesting substances described in the article as a scent neutralizer was urine. So there you go. All you need to do to neutralize the negative scents on your flies is to........................well,you can take it from here.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I think there is room for a website like Snopes where "tricks" like these can be explored and declared true or false. Just since I wrote the post above, I thought of three more, Red Owl Cat Food, Copenhagen Snuff, and Nightcrawler Mating Musk. I am going to save them for a book, an article, or to get the new Fishing Legends website started. Kerry, do you mind if I use you story about urine. How do you use, anyway?
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread