+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LEST WE FORGET - Readers Cast (Neil Travis) - June 06, 2011

Blog Entries

Default LEST WE FORGET - Readers Cast (Neil Travis) - June 06, 2011

LEST WE FORGET

I did not notice him at first sitting there on the bank half hidden by the sweet ferns and alders. He was a young man, certainly not more than in his late teens. I thought it curious that his equipment looked much older. He wore canvas waders and over his shoulder was a wicker creel. His rod was bamboo and much longer than I was accustomed to seeing. He wore a broad brimmed hat and the hat band was festooned with flies, but the patterns were not ones with which I was familiar.

Default June 6th 1944 D-Day, Invasion of Europe!

By nightfall on June 6th 1944 - D-Day, Hitler's Atlantic Wall on the coast of Normandy had been breached by the Allied Forces, at a cost of 9500 casualties!

Many of our soldiers from World War I and II, are at rest in U.S. Military Cemetaries in Europe.

There are 30921 men and women of the U.S. Military Service from World War I resting in U.S. Military Cemetartries in France. There are 93,238 men and women of the U.S. Miltary Service from World War II, resting in U.S. Military Cemetaries in France, Belguim and England.

Starting with the Korean War, all men and women of the U.S. Military Service who have died in combat are now returned back home to the United States.

In 1944, the United States Government placed and initial order for 500,000 Purple Hearts, in preparation of the possible Invasion of Japan. As history states that after the dropping of two atomic bombs on Japan, these 500,000 Purple Hearts where not needed.

Since the end of World War II, the U.S. Government has never place an order to restock the inventory of Purple Hearts that are still in storage from the 1944 order.

SFC Steven H. McGarthwaite
    U.S. Army, Retired, 1968-1995
    Vietnam Veteran
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Great story.....I'd like to think we are visited more often than not by those who have secured the lives that we so often take for granted.

+ Reply to Thread