+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tube anchor

Default Float tube anchor

I found this at a fishing store and bought it thinking it would work for my float tube:

What do you guys think?
    I believe I can fly fish

Blog Entries

Looks like it should hold you Martin, unless the Santa Anna winds are too strong Then it may take two. But if it is that windy, you don't want to be out on the lake anyway.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have a nylon bag with smooth river rock in it. I'd post a picture, but it's buried too deep under my fishing stuff. I like what you got, just make sure there are no sharp edges on it. If I got one of those, I'd round all the sharp corners/edges then coat it with plastic coating like you put on the handles of tools.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I have a nylon bag with smooth river rock in it. I'd post a picture, but it's buried too deep under my fishing stuff. I like what you got, just make sure there are no sharp edges on it. If I got one of those, I'd round all the sharp corners/edges then coat it with plastic coating like you put on the handles of tools.

It is smooth without sharp edges so next thing is to get it plastic coated. I was after a $30 anchor and with the discount i ended up paying $6 for this one.
    I believe I can fly fish

I took an old piece of PVC pipe, bought a couple of caps and put an eye bolt through one end. filled it upand glued together and it make a very nice anchor. If you want it to be plastic coated you might could put it in a ppiece of PVC, but there may be better methods. It looks like a great anchor the way it is though.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Nylon mesh bag on a rope works for me.
    Fill it with rocks or gravel at the launch site.
    Nothing to carry, packs empty and flat in the side pockets till needed

DuFf

I use an 8 lb sledge hammer head with a nylon rope ran through the hole. Works good in still water. Not worth a dang on the river unless it hits a snag.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I'm not planning to use the tube in running water, in that case I'll get on the pontoon. I got the rubber in a can so I will do that tomorrow. The sledge hammer sounds like good idea too.
    I believe I can fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    I'm not planning to use the tube in running water, in that case I'll get on the pontoon. I got the rubber in a can so I will do that tomorrow. The sledge hammer sounds like good idea too.
    I was thinking you might have to file an environmental impact study on that chunk of lead if you got caught using it in a lake in CA.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I was thinking you might have to file an environmental impact study on that chunk of lead if you got caught using it in a lake in CA.
    It's a big chunk of lead wrapped on rubber now so I don't think I'll hear any complains. The anchor I was going to buy was also a big chunk of lead but not shaped as this one I got.
    Now I just gotta wait for the weather to heat up a bit more so I can use my tube!

Last edited by Martin McFly; 06-08-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread