+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i am 15 and trying to get started

Blog Entries

Default i am 15 and trying to get started

hi all

im new on the site. im 15 years old and new to the fly fishing world. i am from wyoming and spend most of my time ranching. but i am trying to get my gear collected and getting myself going. i don't have a lot of money but any little thing will help. old and worn out is fine i will move into nicer stuff as i go.

kyler kobbe

I know a young guy who just bought one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105763680
    I haven't had a chance to cast it yet so no reconmendation but it should do for an inexpensive start.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 06-02-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

kobbekid; If you could give us an idea of what you do have, and the type of fishing that you want to do, (ponds, lakes, streams, rivers). I'm sure you will get all kinds of help.

Yep to that,one more thing if you are just getting started i would highly suggest getting a flyline with a built-in loop,it will make changing leaders alot easier on a newbie than learning nail knots!

Blog Entries

i am interested in fishing streams and small rivers since that is what i am used too. i have a rod and a reel i am going to go down to the local fly store here soon to get line and have them help me with that part. any more recommendations for lines?

Welcome kobbekid. glad you could make it. Lovely area you are in. Caught my first brookie up in the Snowy Range. Have you read this.. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/beginnermenu.php..a great into to fly fishing. - Flyfishing 101 is particularly helpful to newbys. Enjoy.

Welcome to the board!!

One suggestion I would make, for your local reference, try the West Laramie Fly Store. The people there are really good to deal with, and then you'll be right on the high way to Centennial and some pretty darn good fishing!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey kobbekid I'm 15 here too.
    You should visit the chats sometime.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/chat/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Yep to that,one more thing if you are just getting started i would highly suggest getting a flyline with a built-in loop,it will make changing leaders alot easier on a newbie than learning nail knots!
    If the line you get does not have a leader loop in it, you can tie one with a chunk of 20# mono. You put a Perfection Loop in one end and tie the other end to the fly line with a nail knot. The guys at the fly shop should be willing to show you how. It isn't tough to do at all. All of my lines have this setup. If you google the name of the knot, you will find lots of tutorial on how to tie it and probably some videos, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kobbekid View Post
    i am interested in fishing streams and small rivers since that is what i am used too. i have a rod and a reel i am going to go down to the local fly store here soon to get line and have them help me with that part. any more recommendations for lines?
    I will probably get some argument here, but for streams and small rivers, you don't need a fancy or expensive line. Most of your casts will be no more than 40-50 ft so it just doesn't matter how slick the line is or what other fancy features it might have. A weight forward floating line will be a good choice. To get your wet flies down to the fish, a furled leader will do the job nicely. If you are fishing dries, treat that same furled leader with fly floatant to keep it from sinking.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Hello Kyler,
    The best way to stay out of trouble is to pick up a hobby, and no better one than fly fishing. I can offer (free) an eagle claw 2 piece, 8'6" (I believe), 5wt fly rod I have at work. It's not new but it will give you many years of catching. I do want to make sure your dad is ok with it so please let him know. If he is ok with it then I'll ship it to you, I'm sure I have some flies here and there and I'll gladly send them to you as well. It would be nice if somebody else can help with a reel so you can have your setup.
    Best of luck.
    Martin
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread