+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avalon Fly for Permit????

Hybrid View

Question Avalon Fly for Permit????

Be in Belize in July. Saw interesting reports of great success in Cuba with the Avalon Fly. Does this fly work for Permit everywhere or just Cuba?

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Fish will eat that fly all over the world!!! Throw it in your fav freshwater pond/lake and catch some bass.

I really think people read too much into any fly pattern/magazine article.

I'm convinced you can tie just about any fur, feather, yarn, etc, etc, material to any hook (within reason) and it'll catch fish!!!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I kinda agree...the Electric Dread caught my last 2 permit but other than those each one was on a different fly...confidence in what you present is going to be your best shot, if its the Avalon Fly then so be it...good luck while you are there and take pictures for us...I think you will find that a longer leader will help also, cant be long enough IMO...probably the local guides will have secret weapons for you...

4. Default

Make sure to take some Bauer crabs in tan and olive in #4 and#6.

5. Default

I don't know. I googled and the Avalon fly seems to be deadly.

I also googled it today...to be honest I am not impressed nor do I believe the article I read...they must be the easiest permit in the world....as a guide for permit myself I would discourage its use for permit here ...not saying the fly wont catch one but to me its all hype, I have fished Cuba very hard in the early 90's while working there in Gitmo...maybe they only work in Cuba because they wouldnt have a prayer here in Biscayne Bay...never even seen one in any fly shop nor heard it mentioned among permit fisherman...maybe you and others will disagree with me but since you asked...there is no magic fly or the entire permit fishing world would have it, including me ...I dont believe in testing theory while paying $$$ for fishing, I go with proven winners because time moves very fast on the water and every single cast can make or break you...you can always go prove me wrong by using it and catching one though

+ Reply to Thread