Just got back from another trip up to the cabin on the Au Sable. Looks like the gas prices kept most people at home as traffic/town was only about 20% of what it normally is this holiday weekend, which I am not complaining about that's for sure, less people around the better is my motto for upnorth.

Spent the holiday weekend with the family at the cabin enjoying their company and spending a bit of time with Mom on her 67th B-day (I bought her an E-reader which she enjoyed). Like last weekend I decided to do some work on the cabin as well as fishing. Our cabin has been in my family for about 25 years now and is my favorite place in the world to go. It's located just a short 5 min walk from the Au Sable's warmwater section, and the trout waters can be reached within about 20 minute drive, plus the towns of Oscoda/East Tawas are only about a 20 min drive away as well so it's in the perfect spot for where I want to be. But over the years things get run down and need to be fixed and over the past couple decades I have been more focused on fishing than improving the cabin it seems. So this year I am rectifying that and doing a bit of work on the place each trip before I head out fishing.

last weekend we fixed the stairs that lead up to the front deck/door, as well as cleaning up the living room, putting up some wood shelves and some fly fishing decor. And this weekend I tackled the first bedroom which is the one I sleep in when I am alone or with the family, and the one that I let "fishing buddies" use when it's just me and a buddy. So with that in mind I decided the dark dirty room needed a good cleaning as well as a facelift with an eye towards the fly fishing motif.

It was originally all dark wood paneling and a wall that has some wallpaper that use to be white but after four decades now was yellow. So I stripped everything out of the room and went to cleaning/washing. After a through cleaning I decided to paint the walls in a two tone look so the top half is a nice clean white and the bottom is the original wood paneling which gives the room a nice bright lighter cleaner look along with all the new fly fishing pictures and decor I added. I think it turned out rather nice and will make any fly fisherman feel at home. (The floor is also new, OSD & I installed that last year). All that's left is to get some wood trim to finish the transition between the white and wood, new switch plate covers and new curtains which I will finish on vacation in about 5 weeks.

Just a pic I took of the lower Au Sable on the way into town on Saturday...

Sunday morning was spent finishing up some work at the cabin, spending time with the family and then going out to eat. After that was done then I went on down to the river just down from the cabin and started stripping some big articulated streamers I tied up on Friday in hopes of getting into some pike and bass and the streamers did their job on both accounts. Neither was a 'monster" size fish, but both were still a nice reward for spending a couple hours on the river late evening.

Probably won;t be back up to the cabin in June due to the niece & nephew getting out of school, Nephews B day mid June and a few other things. But I will be back up there yet again for my annual 15 days vacation with the family through July and this year I plan to fish more in those 15 days than I have on any other vacation so I am greatly looking forward to that trip this year!

Steve