+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Options and Opinions

Default Pontoon Options and Opinions

I am seeking advice on pontoon fishing options. I have owned a tube(hated it) and a Kayak Wilderness Systems Pungo(also hated it), thus I am continuing the product search for being able to get out on some small lakes and ponds near my home.

Criteria:

1. Must be able to be carried by on reasonably fit 50 year old.
    2. Must be able to fit in the back of a Toyota Tacoma.
    3. Must have a stand up casting option.

I'm curious what you hated about both the float tube and the kayak. I've fished from both and while the float tube was nto very manuverable, it wasn't terrible to fish from. I own a Hobie Outback kayak, and it is my favorite personal watercraft to fish from. Easy to manuver (except in revers) and a very stable fishing platform. Also, I think that you might want to share the type of fishing you'll b e doing; rivers v's ponds etc. to get the most useful information.

Jim Smith

Jim,

I found casting unpleasant sitting down in the water. I also do not like the sitting position when in a kayak and found it to be very uncomfortable on my lower back. At this point in my fishing career I primarily sight fish in the salt and dry fly fish on fresh water. My days of blind casting all night long to stripers or chuck and duck nymphing are over. It simply isn't that much fun. In order to see fish I would rather be standing up, or at least be sitting up higher off the water than a kayak affords one to be able to do. I would be using a pontoon on small lakes and ponds here in Vermont. Carrying distances would be a max of 200 yards.

Thanks for your reply.

Rich

Take a look at the "Outcast" products out of Boise, ID. I have two (1-9' & 1-8') and love them both. They are not too heavy to carry and you can get a "wheel" to attach to the back to assist in moving them to the water.
    Mike

I would highly recommend you take a look at a NuCanoe or demo one. They are a sponsor on FAOL and they have a great product. I have owned mine for over 3 years and absolutely love it. Mine is the 10' model and it weighs 60 pounds. It fits great in the back of a Ranger truck and with the swivel seat option, is the most comfortable way to fish (my opinon).

Go take a look at their web site and view the many videos there showing how others are using their NuCanoes. You will even find a video of me using the NuCanoe on the Duck River here in Tennessee. While viewing their web site, make sure to watch the video on their 2 wheeled cart that you use to transport your NuCanoe from the vehicle to the water and back plus assisting with loading your NuCanoe into your truck or on top of a vehicle. Great product option!! You just cannot beat a NuCanoe (my opinion).

http://www.nucanoe.com/
    Last edited by WarrenP; 05-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

You might want to check out Dave Scadden's boats at North Fork Outdoors.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRiverMike View Post
    Take a look at the "Outcast" products out of Boise, ID. I have two (1-9' & 1-8') and love them both. They are not too heavy to carry and you can get a "wheel" to attach to the back to assist in moving them to the water.
    Mike
    Ditto on Outcast boats. I have 2 Outcast PAC models and they are top-shelf products. I've owned boats from several different manufacturers over the years and if I was in the market for another one, I would only look at Outcast. The folks at Outcast are great to deal with as well.
    Mark 1:17

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Steck,

I've owned many Pontoon Boats, Float tubes, boats etc. Honestly, any pontoon that's truly big enough for a grown man to stand and cast comfortably from, isn't something you're going to want to be carrying any distance. If you've thrown in the towel on a tube and a kayak, I'll bet you're not a good candidate for another low rider. If you're going to make a change, make a definite change.

My advice, get closer to the water and buy a real boat on a trailer. It doesn't have to be huge, but something as simple as a Semi-V 1448 with pedestal seating will do the deed.

I'll bet if you go take a serious look at a couple of those, you'll forget all about carrying or standing in a pontoon.

Best, Dave

Have to agree with Dave E. While they do make pontoons you can stand in, you'd still be better off in a small boat or a pram. Added benefit is you are that much more out of the water which is more comfortable and give you a better angle to see fish. I fish primarily from a float tube or a pontoon, and I'm planning on getting a pram in the not too distant future. Something like a Spring Creek pram would be perfect, I would think. You should be able to find something similiar in you area. Good luck.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=98-6Jnk2HiE
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=-iAn650Q3XM
    I second the Scadden. Framed or frameless. Just check out the videos. I have an outlaw X5 that I use a 5hp Nissan on and an Outlaw Renegade frameless. The X5 has a casting deck and it deflates and the frame disassembles to fit in a 48" x 21"x12" bag.

Flygoddess in hers

+ Reply to Thread