+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When's It Going to STOP?????

Default When's It Going to STOP?????

We woke up this morning with SNOW on the ground, again..... Our local headwaters currently have 238% of normal snow pack for this time of the year. They opened 3 ski resorts near us for the Memorial Day weekend. We've had ENOUGH already. At this rate, run-off should end sometime next winter.

Can you tell that I need to go fishing? The problem is there's no place to go that's not cold, high, dangerous, and off color

Okay, whining mode OFF!
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

If misery loves company, it's not much better here in Montana.

Look at today's Snotel report for the various Montana watersheds: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports...=select+a+year

I'm on the Yellowstone River, 35 miles north of Yellowstone Park, and at about 5,000' elevation. It snowed on and off here yesterday, and more is forecast for today. The Upper Yellowstone watershed is now at 192% of avg. snowpack.

I did fish some yesterday, but it was mostly due to the fact that I had some spare time than that I actually expected to catch fish (which I didn't).

Blog Entries

The South Platte Drainage is at 266% of normal. Fishing will be confined to Tahosa and smaller lakes and ponds for a good long while. I'm not a betting man normally, but $10 says we will have a record number of rafting deaths in Colorado this year. The big runoff will draw crowds for the white water on the Arkansas and Colorado. Unless a dam breaks, the South Platte will remain pretty tame except for the headwaters.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Some friends went to Mammoth Mountain this weekend and called to say it was snowing. I thought they were pulling my leg. Man oh man. Snow on May 28 in the Eastern Sierras. Wild weather this year. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I just checked the CA State Snow Pack conditions website - for our area it's now at 259% and the snow water equivalency is 31.9 inches. I also checked in with Kirkwood Ski resort which is about 35 miles from here. They've had 12" in the last 24 hours. Most of our lakes are still iced over so we are really limited in fishable water.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Maybe in the fall, at least in Co. Arapahoe Basin Ski Area got 38" of fresh powder last week and hope to stay open till July 4th. July 4th??? Runoff is usually over by then. Aspen Mtn. also had plans to open for Memorial Day weekend.
    Where I usually fish at a flow of 3-400 cfs is now running 4,400 cfs and it's just getting started.

When is it going to stop?

Not today, obviously. Here's a webcam picture of the Bozeman Pass taken about 7:30am this morning, Memorial Day 2011:

Rock Springs has 1/2" of WET snow, Bridger valley 6", Windriver Range, Wyo Range are well over 200% of normal snow depth and moisture. Welcome to the springtime in the Rockies!! You never know what you will get.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 05-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Seems to be the case all over! I think were just going to have to face the fact that this will be a high water year. Here in Central Oregon there has been a little runoff but the majority has not come yet but when it does I'm sure there will be some flooding! They had some major flooding in the John Day a few weeks back things have stabilized for now and the snow still falls here in town too Guess we just need to put our houses on stilts and go pound the rivers regardless of levels. Just remember, the fish tend to hold closer to the banks when the water is higher!

Here's a good idea about what rivers are doing around the NW and I'm sure you can find your area too:
    http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by luckie88 View Post
    Just remember, the fish tend to hold closer to the banks when the water is higher!
    Of course it helps when the water doesn't look like chocolate milk and the fish can actually see the fly...or you can see the fish...or
    Guess I'll just go find a lake.
    Last edited by chewydog; 05-30-2011 at 06:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread