+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So why DON'T you...

Default So why DON'T you...

.......use guide services??

Recently I posted a topic "Do you use guide services?" 46 respondants with 1165 views. Of the 46, some did and some did not. Based on that "scientific" poling and some "deduction" , approximately 2% did. My curiosity is therefor sufficiently piqued to ask this additional question of the remaining 98%, Is it the: no need ( total disinterest in the concept), the cost, the ?tipping, pride or whatever? that causes them to not use these services.

Mark
    PS: HONESTLY, answering my own question, it's a bit of PRIDE ( and of course, the" concept" follows that)

It's multi-fold. Firstly, I generally have little interest in fishing the kinds of waters that guides guide on. Secondly, I'm too cheap. Thirdly, I prefer the challenge of figuring things out on my own. Fourth, I believe guiding only helps to perpetuate the over-commercialization of our sport.

Can't afford the gas to get to a river or stream that would warrant a guide. If I could scratch up the cash for the trip, I'm sure I couldn't afford the guide service. If I could afford the guide service, I'm sure I couldn't afford the tip. It's all becoming way too expensive. So, I choose to fish small lakes around my home with my pontoon or jon boat. Local is Good. Plus, whatever you do spend stays in your neighborhood. JMHO.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I don't get to travel to fish - low budget upstate fishbum.

To have another person tie a fly onto my set-up? To have a person tell me where, when to cast? To have a person tell me when to set the hook? To have another person, put their arm on my shoulder, while I am holding a fish, and only then can a picture be taken? The thrill of another person netting my fish? No thanks. This is just me, but I will never use a guide to fish.

Blog Entries

$400 will pay for most of a 4- or 5-day trip to Montana for me, all expenses. Or I can give it to someone to row me down a river I could probably fish just as well from my own two feet. Not a tough decision. I don't NEED a guide, so why waste money on one?

Wow! What you all just said!!! Those are all the reasons I would never hire a guide. I'd make friends with them and some local guides are friends, then we just simply go fishin. But the big one is the cost for a one day float I can make that kind of money last a whole lot longer and still catch fish on my own. Just heard a new one yesterday from a guide friend that took these jerkoffs out for the Salmon Flies on the Deschutes and there was some real D-bagery there. One of four was grabbing them off the bushes and sticking them with the hook and casting to start with, another guy cursing and yelling at other floaters and anglers the whole time. I'm surprised he didn't just leave them somewhere along the river! Moral of the story, seems like only jerkoffs use guide services. (Sarcastic)
    Last edited by luckie88; 05-29-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

8. Default

On top of the obscene 'fee' they want, they expect a tip. Tip? Don't bet on slow horses.

Blog Entries

As a guide nothing annoys me more than a bunch of cheapskates that couldn't fish their collective ways out of a soggy sandwich sack wanting me to wipe their noses, powder their butts, massage their egos, replace instantly all the flies they are decorating brush and trees with, while playing super-sycophant in hopes of doubling that $2.00 tip.

or not... It is extremely unlikely you can get where I go on your own. It is a lot more than a day's fishing in the end and I do not do day trips anymore. I have been given many "staggering" tips over the years, often well in excess of the charter. Knowing what I am doing and what is going on around me is usually appreciated...
    art

I don't use a guide because, where I fish, I don't need one. I primarily wade fish and prefer not to float during generation. I just don't enjoy it as much, but many people hire guides for float or wade trips. I have been fishing this particular river for 8 years and I figure there are going to be some days when the bite is slower than others.

It's not money or pride for me. Good guides are worth their money because they have to work for it. There's good guides, and there's some who should really be doing something else.

If I ever go to Alaska to fish I'd very much need a guide as I have no knowledge of where to fish, what to fish, etc., etc. I can't think of a finer gentleman than Hap to call upon and acquire his guide services. It's on my Bucket List (fishing Alaska) and i hope to meet Hap one day.

+ Reply to Thread