Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
The guides I occasionally use give me their company, knowledge, and skill for ten to twelve hours, a comfortable boat which they can control much better than I, a nice streamside lunch, and a free casting and fishing lesson all for $30/hour or so. And no matter how good I have convinced myself, in my own mind, that I am, I will never be as good as someone who spends 200 days a year or more on the same general water. If you don't think a guide is a bargin maybe you have the wrong guide. I used to have my own drift boat. I know what it takes to handle on for a full day of fishing. You won't get much fishing done.
Well said! I also hire guides for other reasons as well - as a female, there are places I simply will not go alone and since my husband does not fish, there are many places I would not be able to fish if I did not hire a guide. I learn a tremendous amount each time I go out - different fishing strategies, info about flies for that specific river, etc... I am always grateful for the experience and the hard work of the guide - accordingly, I tend to tip them well above the norm.