+ Reply to Thread

Thread: guide service question - tipping

Default guide service question - tipping

I know this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to spot the thread.
    I am going to spend a day on the water with a guide in a couple of weeks, and know that it is customary to tip the guide beyond the cost of the day. What would be the proper amount/percentage to tip a good guide? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    CJ

Blog Entries

CJ,

There are a number of factors that determine how much I tip the guide.
    Does he have to pay for a shuttle service?
    Does he furnish the flies or do you have to pay for them?
    Does he furnish the lunch, waters, pop, snacks?
    Does he really know the waters you are fishing? (he can't control how the fish are hitting, but his knowledge will increase your chances of catching fish).

I use guides on river float trips where they are rowing a drift boat or rigid framed raft so they are working hard all day controlling the boat.

I start my basic guide tip at $50 and add more depending upon how well they 'perform' and what the answers are to the above questions. I seldom tip over $100 but often tip around $70.

Most guides are working thier rear ends off trying to give you the best day they can and I think they deserve a decent tip.

By the way, have a great day on your trip and give us a fishing report when you get back.

Larry ---sagefisher---

A lot goes into my decision on what to tip. Most guides are independent contractors working out of a specific shop or group of shops. They get a percentage of the cost of the trip from the shop owner and they pickup the tab for the day. The last shop I worked for split the fee 40/60 so for a $350 all day trip I received $210.00. I was responsible for transportation and gas, meals and drinks, flies, tippet, etc. On an average trip with 2 people, lunch cost $20.00, drinks $6.00, flies and tippet $15.00, and gas $10.00. I was also responsible for paying my own SS which was $26.00. So, after deductions I cleared approximately $123.00.

As a rule of thumb, on a walk/wade trip I'll tip $8 to $10 per hour. On a float trip I'll tip $10 to $12 per hour. I never base my tipping on the number or size of fish I catch as in 90% of the cases it's not within the guides control.

The best tip I ever received was $300 from a husband and wife I guided in RMNP. They didn't catch a lot of fish, but I was able to put them in a position to watch an elk calf being born.....
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Smile The old thread ...

Christopher Chin

As others have noted most guides are independent contractors and they have a cost burden which isn't covered by the guide fee, so a tip helps with those costs. I don't do float trips, and generally only do 1/2 day trips so I tip around $50 for the trip. In each case when I've been with a guide I've paid for 1/2 day (4 hours) but spent at least 6+ hours with the guide (including travel time), so I thinka tip is just good form. My rule of thumb would be to tip what you are comfortable with.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks, guys. I guess I wasn't too far off on my thinking, but it's always good to know you're on the right track. Will let you know how it turns out when we get back.
    CJ

+ Reply to Thread