+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strength question

Hybrid View

Default Strength question

If I am making a 12-10-8-6 furled leader out of 2lbs test line how much would the leader strength be?

It makes no difference how the furled leader is made or how many steps it has. The weakest link will be the tippet end where the tippet is attached because there will only be 3 strands of the 2lb test material at that point. I use a Shorb Loop at both ends and some use a Shorb Loop at the butt end for attaching to your fly line and a small metal ring at the tippet end for attaching your tippet material. Either way, there will only be 3 strands of leader material. I have done some breaking tests and have found that you can multiply the material pound test by 3 and you will be close which would mean your tippet end would break at about 6lbs. Bare in mind that not all 2lb test material is manufactured the same and some may break beyond 6lbs. Also, keep in mind that the fly rod will take a lot of the stress off your leader. I would not be afraid to use your leader for bass fishing with a fly rod.

I am sure that one of our Furled Leader experts will give you a better answer than what I have. I hope this helps some until someone in the know chimes in on this thread.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren is correct Tom. Sounds like you are getting some use out of the board I build for you.

Thank you WarenP this helps a LOT,Plus I didn't think about the rod absorbing the stress like that.

Talking

Jack,I use that board pretty often.
    I LOVE it. my favorite part about it is that it breaks down to 3 pieces for storage.
    Thank you again for making it for me I will cherish it always

Can't answer your question, but can tell my experience. I'm making 10-8-6 5 foot leaders with 4# Vanish using Kathy Scott's formula for the salt. I've broke off 1x Rio floro rated @13# three times. Twice on rocks and once on a fish. Looping a three-way swivel to the end and fishing two flies. Haven't had a problem with the leader breaking yet any way.

Beaver

+ Reply to Thread