+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What About Glass?

Hybrid View

Default What About Glass?

Each time I swing by this forum, this question pops into my mind. Most of my building was done on tubular glass blanks in that golden period between 1950 and 1980. Isn't it interesting that that material had such a short life? But wait! Isn't that same material having a comeback in premium blanks as I type this today? Glass is very much alive either in new rods or in Legends from the past.

We could fill pages on the pros and cons of various materials-weight, durability, recovery... Maybe we will. I will just add a nostalgia item. Because the weight of a glass rod was similar to the bamboo rod which it emulated, it had an ability to give a little "tug" during the back cast. To me that tug signaled that the rod was loaded for the cast. In practice one anticaped the tug based on experience with previous casts. When I switched to lighter Graphite rods that wassomething I missed.

Someday we may see an electronic gaget that gives a signal like that. If you have a chance to try a vintage bamboo or glass rod, try it and look for the tug.
    Bear742

I've always liked glass rods. I own a couple of them myself (one I need to finally get a round to finishing one of these days). I think it's a shame that the rod manufactures somewhat pushed glass out of the picture by making everyone think they needed the fastest rod possible.

Just like any other rod material there are some junk glass rods out there, but those that have cast a "good" glass rod will always admit just how smooth the casting stroke is.Too bad glass doesn't still get the respect it deserves.

Steve

Hardy still produces the Perfection, a VERY slow, VERY smooth glass rod. If you ever have the opportunity to cast one, treat yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Hardy still produces the Perfection, a VERY slow, VERY smooth glass rod. If you ever have the opportunity to cast one, treat yourself!
    I will keep an eye out for one. The fly rod I really want to see is a Shakspeare Ugly Stick in 7, 8, or 9 wt.
    Bear742

Here is a group dedicated to glass rods:http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

I have been in a deciding mode for a few days about which glass blank I would like to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear742 View Post
    I will keep an eye out for one. The fly rod I really want to see is a Shakspeare Ugly Stick in 7, 8, or 9 wt.
    They made them, my friend. They made them.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post

Absolutely LadyFisher, but my Mothers Day gift is right there..."The Test" a 7' 4 wt glass by Hardy....it is sooooo sweet.

I have recently built 2 glass rods and have two blanks still to go. My latest build is all black. Black guides, reel seat, wrapping...I call it the "Ace of Spades.

The love for glass, like bamboo has always been there. Can't say I have ever cast "JUNK" glass. Even those $14. Wally World specials are okay except that lack of guides.

I agree that quicker Graphite along with rods that weigh an oz. kind of took the light, and I do have some sweet Graphite full flex rods that are as light as a feather. The thing is, any rod can be a joy if matched with the right reel. You go with a light reel on a heavy tip rod, you are going to hate it. But add some lead core line for backing then the line and try to balance it out. Although the whole thing weighs a lot, balance can make it quite enjoyable.....at least that is my story, and I am sticking to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Absolutely LadyFisher, but my Mothers Day gift is right there..."The Test" a 7' 4 wt glass by Hardy....it is sooooo sweet.

I have recently built 2 glass rods and have two blanks still to go. My latest build is all black. Black guides, reel seat, wrapping...I call it the "Ace of Spades.

The love for glass, like bamboo has always been there. Can't say I have ever cast "JUNK" glass. Even those $14. Wally World specials are okay except that lack of guides.

I agree that quicker Graphite along with rods that weigh an oz. kind of took the light, and I do have some sweet Graphite full flex rods that are as light as a feather. The thing is, any rod can be a joy if matched with the right reel. You go with a light reel on a heavy tip rod, you are going to hate it. But add some lead core line for backing then the line and try to balance it out. Although the whole thing weighs a lot, balance can make it quite enjoyable.....at least that is my story, and I am sticking to it..
    Beautiful rod and reel combo Goddess! The Featherweight is a perfect compliment to that sweet 7 footer!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

How close would that slo mo Hardy be to a good old Wonderod. Seems like Fly Godess has experience with both. What say ye?
    Bear742

No comparison. Two totally different feels. The Wonder while being sweet as all get out, is more butt to tip and heavier. The Test does host some graphite in the butt section, I think.

+ Reply to Thread