Each time I swing by this forum, this question pops into my mind. Most of my building was done on tubular glass blanks in that golden period between 1950 and 1980. Isn't it interesting that that material had such a short life? But wait! Isn't that same material having a comeback in premium blanks as I type this today? Glass is very much alive either in new rods or in Legends from the past.

We could fill pages on the pros and cons of various materials-weight, durability, recovery... Maybe we will. I will just add a nostalgia item. Because the weight of a glass rod was similar to the bamboo rod which it emulated, it had an ability to give a little "tug" during the back cast. To me that tug signaled that the rod was loaded for the cast. In practice one anticaped the tug based on experience with previous casts. When I switched to lighter Graphite rods that wassomething I missed.

Someday we may see an electronic gaget that gives a signal like that. If you have a chance to try a vintage bamboo or glass rod, try it and look for the tug.