Thread: Diffusion Hackling

Threaded View

Default Diffusion Hackling

Now that I've been introduced to Jason Borger's site and failed at the LREN (low riding emerging nymph), I decided to try one of his other techniqes called diffusion hackling to achieve a similar result. I
    also just got some beaver fur and it gave me a chance to try it out. Donald Nicolson had a post mentioning beaver fur and someone had replied that it worked well for dry fly dubbing, espectially when making thin bodies. Since Borger's pattern calls for a thin body, I had to give it a shot. The fibers for the wings are just clipped hackle fibers from the larger feathers from a dry fly neck. The first is a basic nymph pattern. The second fly has a wing that is made of the post material folded back over the thorax as Jason Borger stated could be done to create a wing. It works, but looks a little funny. I tried again using his technique but instead of using to whole post to pull over the thorax and diffuse the hackle, I only used a part of it and left the rest behind for the wing which I think turns out better since the wing then originates from the thorax instead of the head of the fly
    diffusion hackling 1.jpg

diffusion hackling 1a.jpg
    diffusion hackling 2.jpg

diffusion hackling 4.jpg

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images