+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lodge recommendations for NZ

I agree with Rawthumb regarding Heli fishing.

Before I decided to move here and open a lodge - I fished the region - 3 weeks a year for 7 years - and every trip was without a chopper.

I've had some fantastic fishing days fishing rivers that run right next to public roads as well as more remote streams that meant a 1 >2 hour walk in/out.

There have been days of huge hatches -catching 15 all on the dry & one special day when I landed a 12.5 lb & a 11.75lb brown...........

One of the great things about the fishery in New zealand is the lack of "private waters".

Basically 98% of tghe rivers are available for public use. Obviously quite alot of them are in wilderness regions that require alot of walking.

The sheer size of the fishery here (There are approx 30 streams you can fish - without a chopper within a 1 hour drive of the lodge) means that you are pretty much spolit for choice.

(Early this week, one of our guests caught an 8.5lb brownie on the river VERY close to the lodge)

It also means that if it's raining at the lodge - you can still generally wind clear water near by.

Have fun

Felix

------------------

Owen River Lodge
    Fly Fishing at its very best
    Owen Valley East Road, Murchison
    South Island, New Zealand
    Tel:+ 64 3 523 9075
    [url=http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz:e7b77]www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz[/url:e7b77]

[This message has been edited by OwenRiverLodge (edited 07 February 2005).]

In defense of kiwis

We get a lot of american tourists who are embarrassing as representatives of the States, they feel as visitors they have the right to be rude, arrogant and impatient. On the whole we are relaxed. We laugh at ourselves and are friendly. Guaranteed way to get the back up on a kiwi is to be demanding, you have to go with the flow. We dont care how much of your hard earned cash you paid to a travel agent to get here, thats not the point. You are coming to another country with a different culture we ask you to respect that. Kiwis and the NZ government are constantly bullied by the US government and some citizens. We are not some banana republic nor do we appreciate being treating like idiots. We are neither and do not appreciate being treated as such. Kiwis have a dry sense of humour, its not in your face and it may be going right over your head.
    FYI American angling tourists have a proven bad reputation on NZ waters for expecting everyone else out there to get out of their way because they are paying to be there. Of course there will be suspicion on the rivers and lakes if you even hint at behaving like that.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 07 February 2005).]

In defense of Kiwis.

I agree with what Jo has said. I recently spent a month overseas in both Australia and New Zealand. Had a great time in both countries, met some wonderful people, and was treated very well. I have to agree that many Americans abroad can be demanding and arrogant. The Kiwi's are wonderful people. Give respect-Get respect.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

[This message has been edited by Fishnfool (edited 08 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread