I was having a look at an older fly book (Trey Combs' "Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies") and opened to a random page (as is often my wont) and just read a few bits. In doing so, I came across this pattern, called a "black bear" (despite having no black bear hair in the pattern). It sounded good to me, so I decided to tie one up and I'm quite pleased with the look. Unfortunately in the photo the hackle and tail looks very red, when in fact both are a mix of black and red hackles. The black doesn't seem to show up in the photo for some reason making them both look quite red when in reality they look more black.

This fly was developed by a fellow by the name of Al Knudson back in the 1950s for use during low and clear conditions in the summer, though he apparently found it worked well in any season when the water was clear and low. One winter he took an 11 1/2 and 14 1/2 lbs steelhead on back to back casts (fishing in the Skagit; not a river I'm familear with myself). Having had some recent luck with a Black Ghost bucktail streamer this one appealed to me (and the thought of two 10+ lbs fish on consecutive casts is just too good a recommendation to pass up. )

Anyway, the dressing is:
Thread : black
tail : red & black hackles mixed
rib : silver tinsel (I used wire)
body: black chenille (I used wool as I've tied this a bit smaller; size 10 rather than size 1 or 2!)
wing: black bucktail
hackle: black and red hackles, wound together