+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardy Reel Question?

Question Hardy Reel Question?

A buddy of mine just purchased a NIB Hardy Light Weight Reel. An older 80's model but never used. Looks to be 4-5 wt reel. After looking at it, I am kinda lost as to what makes these so great. I am not an expert by any means, so that there may be something I am overlooking. What about the Hardy makes it so expensive (better)?

History and tradition.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Sing this in the key of E :
    ZeEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Reh Reh Reh
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzehZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZa Za Za!!!
    Reh Reh Reh Reh

It's the high dollar song the reel sings. Rumor had it that the Aristocratic European Royals liked the noise so that the boat-man was given clue as to where the fighting was going. Their backs to the action, the boat-man could avoid losing the fish by attentive navigation to the screams of the reel. The Royal didn't have to say a word.

That's one story.

I did notice a lack of quality in the two reels I own, an Orvis lightweight (I think Hardy made these) and a Perfect, when compared with other vintages and the modern Hardy. Both the reels I own were purchased by me in the '60's early 70's. I don't fish either one. They just supply memories of the past. I suspect the more recent better made and better looking Hardy's came about with the advent of the CNC machine.

I'm no expert either and sometimes I gag at the price I see for some of them, but that's the way it is... Kinda Aristocratic.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Blog Entries

I run a bunch of Hardys... at least 35 of them, covering most models. There have been some weak points in their history... But I have 6 Hardy Huskys ( a silent check version of the Zenith) with many years of very heavy use as salmon reels for guided clients. They have a lot of saltwater time including halibut and lingcod. They are way beyond tough.

But it is th elittle guys that are so distinctive some can identify them by sound across the room...

Its all about sex appeal. DSCN0011-1.jpg

hardygirl.jpg
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

These reels were around before we had Ross, Abel, Lamson... and all the other high end reels we have today. And I'll take a Hardy over a Pflueger any day.

They're the only small trout reels I use. They're light. They're simple (not much to go wrong). And, yes, that sweet sound.
    And, when compared to other "high end" reels, they're not really that expensive. But yes, just for a reel to store line, they're nice. Sexy. Pricey. I won't give mine up. I've had a couple since 1981 and they still work just like new.

Dunfly - Thanks for my new Desk Top photo! LOL!!

Hap - love my Hardy Zenith - got around 1981 and a CFO IV, gotten around 1992? Work like a champ and are good lookin reels to boot! Would be hard to part with them!

My Pfluegers are relegated to streamer/wooly bugger type fishing, where I don't have to worry about snapping light tippets - Pfluegers have horrendous start-up inertia IMHO!

MarkF - Hardys were top of the line in their day ( the ones I mentioned above) - I could not justify that same price now. My J. Ryall reels were about the same in price (or less) and can run circles around the Hardys - the Ryalls drag system is leaps and bounds above the Hardys. With 6x/7x and smaller tippets, I need a drag that can be fine tuned with minimal start-up inertia ( if I am using this term correctly!). Pfluegers are too "klunky" for a lot of my fishing - but have their place in some of my fishing situations. I love the click from all these reels because I associate it with fond memories and those still to come!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread