+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LOONS ARE REALLY FUNNY PEOPLE - Readers Cast - May 23, 2011

Blog Entries

Default LOONS ARE REALLY FUNNY PEOPLE - Readers Cast - May 23, 2011

LOONS ARE REALLY FUNNY PEOPLE

I have always enjoyed the Loons for their company, especially early in the mornings when only they and I are out on the lake. They are a protected bird and I hope they will always be there to greet me when I travel to the high country lakes that I love.

Default Loons Are Minnesota's State Bird

I enjoyed the article obout the "Common Loon"! I am glad that you finally learned your lesson from your grandson!

Loons are great birds that have as much right (if not more) to the public waters and the fish, as do the anglers.

Minnesota's State Bird is the "Common Loon", and they call our Northern Lakes home during our short summer season. Their haunting calls at night when there is moonlight is a comfort to us folks that go "Up North" for the weekend, as we settle-down for a nights rest.

Minnesota has Laws protecting the State Bird! If Common Loons are sighted on the water, boat operators must give the loons a wide berth, and the boat operator, must reduce the boat speed. Heavy fines and confiscation of the vessel is the cost for not obeying the law!

We encourage them to nest on more lake as their population expands, by building floating islands in secluded bays, for the raising of their young. I do not mind giving the loons my fish, I just do not wanting them to get hook in the process.

Many in Minnesota were worried about the damage from the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill last year, as many of the Minnesota Loons winter-over along the Gulf Coast during our winter months. From the reports so far, most of our Loons have returned to Minnesota this season... ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-23-2011 at 07:08 AM.

The best parts aren't always about catching fish.

Great read!

I dunno about you, Roger. Catching Loons and painting buffalo. Loved the story. There are two bird songs I miss living where I do. The Loon and the Meadow Lark. I must confess, the memory of the Meadow Lark song brings tears to my eyes. When I think of that beautiful song, I remember the plains of the Dakotas and the Black Hills with great fondness.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Reminds me of the time my dad and I put the duck boat in the water to hunt in Morro Bay, CA. We had to hand launch the boat, as the launch ramp was "unimproved". Dad had the back of the boat, and entered the water first. There was a loon there which would not leave my dad alone. It kept nailing his waders with its beak, over and over, making that plaintive loon cry. Dad tried to shoo it away, but the dang thing just kept coming back and hitting my dad in the legs with its beak, and those beaks are hard, boy. Finally, we were able to get the boat launched and motored away, and the loon followed us for a little while unitl it couldn't keep up anymore, calling the whole time...

good memories....thanks
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Best ever Roger. Best ever.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I just love loons. That call in the evening is just absolutely haunting. 8T

+ Reply to Thread