+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One small step for a fly fisherman!

Hybrid View

Default One small step for a fly fisherman!

1st, I'll tell you I,m not new to fishing. I've been fortunate in my life to have netted many fish. The comment here is that's it's been all bait or lure fishing. 40 years ago I tried the fly rod. The only thing I netted was a lot of frustration. Fast forward to last week where I traveled to the Wolf River area in Wisconsin. For those who don't know that's a minnow fishing mecca. Now at 1st glance this may not seem like a huge accomplishment, but the grin on my face is still there a week later. By now you might have guessed it. I had my 5wt with the other end a blue and white weighted streamer. After a lot of roll casting and no success my brother and I (you know as Montana Mike) discussed the need to get deeper. So on went the appropriate small weight and, "wham", my 1st ever fish on a fly rod............! I guess it's safe to say I'm hooked forever. The only somewhat cruel side to the saga, just before I caught the fish the crew was finished packing up and we had to leave the property we were on, so it was literally one of my last casts. Yahoo from Idaho and thanks to this web site for providing great reading and incite......

SWEET! That first hookup is like crack, I love to hear stories about guys coming back from the "dark side". Well as you may know now "The tug, is the drug" you will now be searching for that feeling on a constant basis but that first smack is crack. There are a few groups out there that will help you if you need, this is one of those. Keep Coming Back
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Good job, Joe!
    Wolf River.... Isn't there a fantastic White Bass run on the Wolf? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different stream?
    What did you catch?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The white bass run is on the lower Wolf at Fremont, Wi. The trout water is close to Langlade, WI:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...onsin&t=h&z=14

You can see how wild the river is when you zoom out. It has one of the longest and largest un-dammed sections of major river in Wisconsin.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Pretty much all white bass right in the Fremont area. Hopefully my pic shows up. Thefirst.jpg

Yes, it shows up. Excellent!!
    White Bass are a blast on fly gear!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread