Thanks for your reply. The flies I would probably be using most would be 10-12, wooly buggers, girdle bugs and other panfish flies, etc. If I ever want to go big, I have an 8-9 wt at my disposal, so if I want to target bass or pike, etc., I'm covered. The places where I fish for panfish also have lots of other gamefish, and especially with my spinning rod, I catch a lot of 14-15 inch bass and smaller walleyes, etc.

I have a reel for each of the two rods I mentioned previously (Redington/St. Croix). Both reels are the same Redington mid-arbor reels designed for 5-6 line, so I assume I could put a 4 wt line on one of them if I put on more, or a heavier weight backing. I have three extra spools for these two reels. Truthfully, I'll probably fish more for warmwater species just because it is more convenient, and I have lots more places to go with my kayak. I live in Wisconsin, and have some of the best trout fishing in the state within an hour or two, but I have lots of great warmwater fishing literally within minutes.

Maybe it's a matter of just getting better with the 6 wt, and then the 5 wt will be easier?