+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Carp on a fly(almost)

Hybrid View

Default First Carp on a fly(almost)

I was fishing the fishermans paradise section of spring creek near State College last week. The trout were not doing much and I was sitting on the bank near one of the slower pools just enjoying the day and watching 2 good sized carp working the bottom in the pool, I had a black bugger on my line and thought I would put it on the bottom in front of them and see what happend. The bugger hit the bottom about a foot in front of one of the carp, I twitched it just enough to move it about an inch or so, when the carp saw it move it moved toward it and ate it! The fight lasted about 3 minutes when the carp decided it had enough and took off, not much I could do with a 6x tippet and a 4weight. I really didn't expect the carp to eat the fly but it did, I think I might have found a new fish to target, I have a 7/8 weight combo that would work much better than my trout rod. I have watched people on the TV catching carp on a fly but never really tried it myself, but I'm going to give it a try. Another bonus in that section is that there is a pair of bald eagles nesting in a pine tree above the hatchery.

Rodney

You sound just like me. Recently I had what I believe was my first carp on a fly but I too was badly under gunned. In my case I hooked what probably was a large grass carp on a tenkara rod. Luckily he got off before he broke anything.

I'm gonna have to stop at this place one day. I go by Frostburg almost every week on my way to Garrett College.

Panfisha, the place that I'm talking about is in State College PA. Just wanted to let you know so you don't try and find it in Frostburg.

+ Reply to Thread