I was fishing the fishermans paradise section of spring creek near State College last week. The trout were not doing much and I was sitting on the bank near one of the slower pools just enjoying the day and watching 2 good sized carp working the bottom in the pool, I had a black bugger on my line and thought I would put it on the bottom in front of them and see what happend. The bugger hit the bottom about a foot in front of one of the carp, I twitched it just enough to move it about an inch or so, when the carp saw it move it moved toward it and ate it! The fight lasted about 3 minutes when the carp decided it had enough and took off, not much I could do with a 6x tippet and a 4weight. I really didn't expect the carp to eat the fly but it did, I think I might have found a new fish to target, I have a 7/8 weight combo that would work much better than my trout rod. I have watched people on the TV catching carp on a fly but never really tried it myself, but I'm going to give it a try. Another bonus in that section is that there is a pair of bald eagles nesting in a pine tree above the hatchery.

Rodney