+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Teeny Min-Tip Line

1. Smile Help with Teeny Min-Tip Line

I am working on tying some teeny nymphs in the sizes of 10 and 12 to try while fishing the mountain streams of Western North Carolina. I am also purchasing a Teeny mini-tip fly line to use with the teeny nymphs.
    With this particular fly line, I am concerned that in the shallow mountain streams that I may be "hung up" a lot using the Mini-tip and the teeny nymphs. Has anyone tried the Teeny Mini-tip for fishing for trout in shallow to medium depth mountain streams. Would I be in a more advantageous postition using a weight-forward floating line with the teeny nymphs?
    I would appreciate all the helpful advice that I can get.

I would only try to use a sink tip line if I were fishing water more than 3-4 feet deep. If your mountain streams are usually less than this, I think you will have better control over the depth of your flies using a floating line.

Ted

I'd take both lines. If you are nymphing you might want your fly dragging the bottom. I use both a floater and a Teeny mini-tip. The fish tell me which one works best.

Blog Entries

If you have two reels, consider taking both lines. Most of your fishing probably won't need anything other than the floating line. But there might be a few pools, small but deep with fast current flowing over the top, which provide you with a good opportunity to use a sinking tip line. If the previous sentence stirred up a memory or two of specific pieces of water, you know what I am talking about.

Ed

P.S. You could always take along some split shot instead of the second reel.

+ Reply to Thread