+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swamp Witches make a FINE fly rod!

Default Swamp Witches make a FINE fly rod!

Folks, I've gotta brag on miss Betty Hiner for a bit if you don't mind...

For my Christmas gift this past year, I asked my family to contribute to "the fund" so I could get a custom fly rod made by Betty.
    I chose a Lamiglas glass 7-ft 3-weight blank, and after a nice phone conversation with Betty, we decided what hardware, grips, etc would make the rod look as I had thought out. I wanted a fairly simple, classic-looking glass rod to use for bluegill fishing. That's my favorite thing to do!
    Well, after a long trip with the postal service (looong story!), the rod arrived on my doorstep late last week. Today was the first day I had available to test it out, and that's exactly what I did!
    I went to a small local creek that gets very minimal fishing pressure in the spring and summer. It's full of small bluegills, green sunfish, largemouth bass, and a few nice carp. The creek is crystal clear most of the time, and the fish are somewhat jumpy. Sight fishing here is a blast, and the style of fishing done is totally different from almost anything else in the area.
    Well, I found a hole that was holding a good number of fish, tied on a small black hopper from a recent fly swap, and started casting. My second cast found the center of the pool, I twitched the fly once, and let it sit. I didn't have to wait too long until there was a boil and I set the hook on a hefty little bluegill! I'm pretty sure it's the biggest gill I have ever caught in the creek!

I ended up with several more smaller bluegills and some brightly-colored green sunfish. This rod is very special to me already! The workmanship on it is second to NONE!
    Thanks doesn't even begin to cover it, Betty!

Now I'm off to the lake to see if the bluegills are getting shallow there yet...

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Very nice looking rod!! I'm envious, not everyone has such a classy looking rod, made from such a classy swamp witch.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

Betty is a Grade A Sweetheart, Swamp Witch or not.
    Zac, did you pay her in $ or Cheez-Its?

Ed

Thank ya, guys. I found out this evening that it flexes all the way to the reel when a big bull gill pulls on it! Official count isn't in yet, but I'm guessing 20 bluegills got put in the basket tonight. Glass rod and a bead chain eyed hares ear nymph, all caught in under 2 fow.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I built a 3wt using that handle and seat, it's it neat how you can feel the flex of the rod throught the cork? Miss Betty did a heck of a job on that outfit, just weight until you get a big ole cat, carp or bass on it and they create a nice parabolic arc (be sure and stop and calculate the area). Big time fun.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cool rod, Zac, I know Betty was sweating over the delay at the post office. Glad it got there eventually, though!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I got a nice little popper rod, also 'glas, that Betty built for our swap last year..... I love it! great workmanship. & Betty is tops, too!
    didja get a rod sock & heart-shaped button....? .........Modoc Dan

By the way, Betty......if'n yer listnin'......Thanks again, I love that little rod more every time I take it out.........Dan

Zac, glad you took a picture of that first fish and posted it with the rod. Beautiful fish and rod.

Betty, again, beautiful job. (Glad you sent that rod instead of the pink one.)

Regards,

Gandolf

Nice rod there kid, yes I'd say it is definitely a winner. I guess we can say Betty has great CraftsWomanship!!! Take care and enjoy the rod, John.

QK that is one kewl rod. Just don't let one of Steve's garr attack that fine piece of work.

+ Reply to Thread