+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Do You Move Your Pontoon?

Default How Do You Move Your Pontoon?

Several years back I ran up on what I thought was a great deal on a lower end of the scale pontoon. I have enjoyed it but use it infrequently because of the issues of getting it to and from my pickup. But last year I gained access to a nice lake that is much larger than what I can fish easily in my tube. Even as poor as my rowing technique is, I can still cover much more water in my toon than my Fishcat. But I am still covering 50 yds. from my pickup to the water. I got out my redneck engineering course book and came up with a transportation system I have raised a golf cart to a higher calling. The initial test trip worked well although this is still a work in progress. I am interested in what you guys do, you can't all be parking adjacent to the water edge.

toon cart.jpgtoon cart 3.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse, this is something I've been working on as well. The $100 + pricetag from the toon dealers kind of smarts, so I've been looking at some lesser cost options. Yours is a good one. I too am interested in what others have done..

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I'm still young and dumb enough that I just pick mine up by reaching over the seat from behind it and grab onto the tubing and lift. It seem to balance out pretty well. Now, If I was going to load it full of gear, then I would carry it to the water and load everything on it there instead of trying to move it loaded. I really like the idea of having wheeled help, don't think I'd pay 100 bucks for it though. Might use my game cart when the time comes too.

TT.

Kelly, I bought the golf cart at Goodwill for $10. I have a plan B if this doesn't work long term. I have an aluminum frame from a "sling back" lawn chair that will fit between the frame and add wheels to it. The golf cart has what appears to be excellent wide soft tread wheels that should do well in soft ground and sandy soil. The batteries in my camera are dead I will add a photo when I get a chance that may give you an idea of plan B. The golf cart attaches to homemade fixtures on the deck I added, the toon came with a mesh and nylon strap deck, I used pressure treated 2 x 2's and a scrap fiberglass water meter cover, plywood would also worked. The golf cart is a Wilson that folds up nicely for attachment to the deck with a bungy.

Thunderthumbs, lifting it above my head and carrying the load on my head, arms and shoulder is what I have been doing but there is one section of the Hooch where it's at least 1/4 and maybe 1/2 mile from parking to the water. From the back of my house to the front of my house making a couple of trips is one thing, 1/2 miles is another. I can load the oars, rods, other gear and make one trip this way, maybe allow a bud to thrown his float tube on the back.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 05-16-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Just a suggestion:
    Go to Goodwill or somewhere similar and buy a used childs bicycle. Be sure to give them a little extra to support their cause. I bought a childs bike at a local Goodwill for $10...and gave them an extra 10, so I had 20 bucks in the bike. Strip the front fork off the bike, that's really all you're gonna need. Put the rest of the bike into the metal recycle program somewhere. Get a small piece of aluminum or steel, about 4" by 3" and drill holes in it for 2 U bolts to fit through on each side of the hole you'll drill for the fork tube to fit through. Use wing nuts for easy on-off. Drill a hole through the top of the fork tube about 1 1/2" to 2" down and insert a boilt/nut so the metal block wont fall down any further. Then just clamp the wheel onto the rear bar of the frame or rear deck, grab the toon by the front footpegs and roll it around just like a wheelbarrow. It worked for me like a charm, and I had a total of about $25 invested in it.

Good luck!
    Mark 1:17

Uncle Jesse,

I think what DarrinG has suggested would work great! I am attaching a picture of one very similiar to what he is suggesting and it looks to me like the front forks of a 20" bike would work great. Just thought I would add this plus a picture and from that, I feel you will do the rest. I am a little disappointed that I did not see any Duck Tape in your picture of what you came up with! I just knew there would be Duck Tape somewhere! : )

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104334480
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Well Warren, I went hi-tech on you with clear duct tape. If you look on the upper end of the golf cart there is some yellow padding, held into place with clear plastic duck tape. I am glad to see you used the correct spelling and did not mistakenly call it duct tape, as I did until properly educated. The original use was to seal cartons for shipment in WWII to keep the contents dry, hence duck tape.

Darrin idea certainly has good merit, Cabelas adaptation is a little pricely for me. But until it break down on me I liked the results from the initial trial, my hitch design gives it some stability and it mounts quickly and easy without tools.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 05-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Go to your local bike shop, find their dumpster and dive in boys..
    The discarded parts from most busy shops would keep most serious tinkerer's busy for a long time.

Best, Dave

+ Reply to Thread