+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPX line

Default GPX line

I've been looking at switching to a new flyline and a friend reccomended GPX by Scientific Anglers. I did some reasearch and this is what S A says about GPX...

"The best all purpose floating fly line; designed to be one-half line weight heavier than marked."

Why make it a little heavier? I spent over $200 for a fast fly rod, why would I want to bog it down with heavier line?

I thought maybe they think people will step down 1 wt with the line to help with longer cast but then you suffer when you put on a heavy bass bug.

Any thoughts????

I have been using the GPX line for years and like it.Its a little heavier than other WF lines but its not like your going up a line weight.It casts relly well and wont slow your fast rod down.Try it out before you buy it if you can.

An extra 1/2 line weight isn't going to "bog" down your rod. The change in the load on the rod isn't much different than having about 2-5 feet of additional line outside the rod tip when making the cast, depending on line size. It will help some when making shorter casts.

I have been using a WF 6wt GPX on my Sage RPL+ 6wt for 7 years and it is a great line.

jargo432...........
    The reasoning behind GPX line is that most people are casting short for accuracy. A cast under 30 will not load the rod but if GPX is used the short casts will be made with a fully loaded rod.
    This is the line you will normally use when testing rods at a fly shop or a show. That way the rods preform on both accuracy and long distance casting.
    FFF Life Member #22

DickM
    What happens when you cast 50 feet. Does the rod bend/flex more than the maker of the rod meant for it to flex for that length of cast and therefore not perform as well?

P.S. I went to the S A site and read all they had to offer. Also I should note that at the casting clinic that I went to I cast a CCI's rod and line and just fell in love with the line. It was so much softer and easier to cast. I asked him what kind of line it was and he told me it was XXD. I was about to run out and buy it for my 7wt when I heard about GPX. Hopefully this friday when I go to the fly shop they will have some of each on a reel and will be able to cast each.

[This message has been edited by jargo432 (edited 18 April 2006).]

Just bought a WF5 SA GPX line last Friday and fished it for three straight days for trout here in PA. I'm using it with my Winston BIIx 9' 5 weight rod. The GPX line works great. I was casting weighted nymphs, buggers, and small dry flies and the line worked great. In my opinion the line does not feel heavy or overload the rod at all. Casts real nice!

Ron

The GPX is a great casting line. I have used it the past 3 years, and other than durability, can't complain.

jargo432.............

???What happens when you cast 50 feet. Does the rod bend/flex more than the maker of the rod meant for it to flex for that length of cast and therefore not perform as well????

It???s not even a problem at 90 feet. All rods can take one line size up. Often they can handle 2 or 3 line sizes up depending on the rod rating.
    FFF Life Member #22

I've got the GPX in 6 on a 6 st croix and its a nice match for the mod-fast rod

Thanks for all the info!!! Can't wait to try it out

+ Reply to Thread