+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenwick Fiberglass Rod

Hybrid View

Default Fenwick Fiberglass Rod

Looking for some information in regards to a Fenwick Fiberglass Rod. I received a Fenwick fiberglass rod in great condition from a friend that was cleaning out his garage. Its a 6'0 (5) weight rod. How old is it approximatly and does it have any value at all? Also got a Phleuger (made in USA) reel with the rod. Nice little outfit for brookies but just wondered when it was made and is there any value in case I may want to trade it for something.

Ron

I'm not sure Ron but a friend built this rod for me on the Fenwick blank in the late seventies, early eighties as I recall.

Since gave it to my friends little girl who justs loves casting a fly for bluegills.

You can ask for a current appraisal on the fiberglassflyrodders site.
    They could probably nail the years of production for you too.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Fenwick discontinued fiberglass fly rods in the 1970's. Your rod is a desirable size. Its worth between $100 -200.

Thanks Jerry. Didn't realize the rod had that much value. Do you know if the reel worth anything?

Pflueger made a lot of fly reels. It's worth anywhere between $5 and $250, but most likely in the $20 range. What is the model name and number? Pictures would really help too.

The reel, being USA indicates the rod is early 70s since Pflueger moved to Japan not long after that. Not conclusive, tho. (If the reel says "Akron" on it, its more valuable than those made in Arkansas after the late 60s. If it has a round line guard, it's really early and can command a nice price. See: http://flyanglersonline.com/features...es/part287.php)

Quote Originally Posted by PALongbow View Post
    Looking for some information in regards to a Fenwick Fiberglass Rod. I received a Fenwick fiberglass rod in great condition from a friend that was cleaning out his garage. Its a 6'0 (5) weight rod. How old is it approximatly and does it have any value at all? D.

Ron
    Ron,

To get an idea of the age of the Fenwick you have take a look at the serial number. Here is the date range corresponding to the STARTING LETTER of the serial number:

A-1960-61
    B-1961-62
    C-1962-63
    D-1963-64
    E-1964-65
    F-1965-66
    G-1966-67
    H-1968-69
    I-1968-69
    J-1969-70
    K-1971-73
    L-1973-74
    M-1974-75
    N-1975-76
    P 1976-77
    R 1977-78
    S 1978-79

Value is a function of age, condition and desirability / rareness of the rod. Lower line weights tend to command higher prices than 6 wt and above. The folks over at http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory can give you a better idea of the value of your rod. They also have a classic reel forum and will be able to provide you with a great deal of information on your reel as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. Alot of great information here. The reel looks like its a 1973-74 made in USA reel. I'll have to check the serial number on the rod.

fish that Fenwick. I'll bet if you sell it you;ll miss it.

Mine is a 67, it was my first fly rod. I still fish it and it still looks new! Keep it and enjoy it!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread