I quit smoking a little more than 6 years ago. I have tried hard to be a tolerant ex-smoker. I never wanted to be one of "THOSE" ex-smokers. All of you that either smoke or used to know what I mean. I am about to fail miserably at that quest. Colorado now has a smoking ban in effect for most businesses. There is an exception allowed for bars and clubs that sell enough tobacco products to be classified as "Cigar Bars". This is a fairly recent development but has made visiting and participating in activities with the VFW once again possible for my wife.

After many years of smoking, she developed COPD and simply can not tolerate smoke or smoking any longer. She can not go to Tahosa with me as the altitude gets to her very quickly. My wife has been a member of the VFW Ladies Auxiliary for 35 years and is a past district president. We used to go to every District and Department meeting held and developed many good friends.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to what used to be a favorite VFW Post outside our own for District meetings and to see some of those old friends. This post somehow managed to get a "Cigar Bar" license so smoking is allowed. Smoking is confined to the bar and game room areas. We knew this when we went to the post and went through a side entrane to avoid the smoke. We opened the door and it hit like a sledgehammer. The main rooms used for the meetings were not too bad but you could smell the smoke whenever a door to the bar or game room was opened. I braved the bar area for cokes and a beer. The smoke was thick but I was in and out so I didn't think much of it at the time other than I was glad I did not have to stay in there. We generally enjoyed the visit. We got to see old friends and make some new ones and enjoyed a great meal. We were glad to get out of the smoke, however, even though it was not overpowering or even very noticeable in the meeting rooms.

Now for my rant. On the way home, I noticed that I smelled smoke on myself. Not much but it was there. But it wasn't until this morning that it hit with full force. I could taste the smoke on my breath. My eyes still burned and I could feel it in my chest. I even had the hacking cough back that I had lost when I quit smoking 6 years ago! All of this from just 5 hours at this post.

I know. I have not only heard, but USED all the arguments about smoking still being legal and how it is a freedom of choice thing, but MY freedom of choice was severely compromised yesterday. Yes, I had a choice to leave, but shouldn't I have been able to spend time with those old and new friends without the smoke? Shouldn't I have been able to attend the meetings, grab a brew, and shoot the bull without having to send my sport coat to the cleaner to get it deodorized or taste smoke in my breath the next day?

That used to be a really fun place to go. It was mentioned that attendance was light. Could it have been that others feel the same way I do and just don't feel the trip to that post is worth it anymore?