+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Santa Monica Ca sdvice

Default Santa Monica Ca sdvice

So I've always trusted the folks here for the right advice so here's a request.
    My so may be offered a film internship witha company in Santa Monica.
    I know nothing about the area and a a little concerns about sending him across country alone.
    I'm sure he'll be fine but you gotta worry.
    So if anyone out there is from the area or knows about it I'd really appreciate any info about things like , place to avoid and how to get around and whre to stay for between 2 and 4 weeks.
    Thanks
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Cheffy,

I was born in SM and have lived in LA for a good portion of my life. Santa Monica is on the West Side of LA which means it is upscale, expensive and trendy. It is often called the "people's republic of LA", because of it's progressive bent. Lots of young people about and one of the best places to be in the entire city...I was just there the other day with my youngest daughter, Ally... they have a great public transportation system, it is on the beach... if he gets the internship, ask them for a good inexpensive location to stay in - nearby...he will LOVE it...the traffic sucks...

Ally, at the APPLE PAN on Pico Blvd. a Santa Monica landmark and family tradition...Yummmmyyyyy...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 05-16-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Well he got the internship and starts in a little over a week. still scrambling for housing. but thanks for the tips.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Congratulations, I hope your son has a great experience in Santa Monica. I have been through the area a few time and remember it as a very nice area close to the beach. My daughter has a friend who moved to LA after school who she has enjoyed visiting a couple of times.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

My son had an internship there last summer. He stayed in a fraternity house on the UCLA campus, only about 2 miles away from the office. This was by far the least expensive option for housing, but left a lot to be desired. The place was not well maintained or cleaned. The fraternity just rented rooms to pretty much anyone to make some money over the summer and didn't have anyone on site who was in charge of keeping the place in order. Parking is almost impossible in this area. My son got 4 parking tickets in the first 10 days. Lots of cars all vying for the same spots, and they have hours during the day when parking is not allowed on certain streets.

My son really liked the area in general, but did not like the living situation at the fraternity. I think he would have been better off without a car, just using a bike for transport.

I hope your son has a good experience.

Ted

+ Reply to Thread