+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Felt Sole Wading Boot ?

Default Felt Sole Wading Boot ?

Planning a trip, and they recommend felt-soled wading boots on the streams. I have only used lug soled boots around here, so I have no experience with them. I'll probably get them from Cabela's, because that's the closest place around here to get those things.
    Anybody have a particular boot that they really like? Also, how about the new hydrophobic synthetic boots that are supposed to be a good replacement for felt? I know that they are more expensive, but might be willing to take a good look at them.
    Thanks in advance for the input.
    CJ

Really like the Cabela's Ultralight - get the ones that come with studs, if you're headed anywhere the bottom is rocky.

I have several pair of felt bottom boots including the Cabela Ultra-light and find them to be very satisfactory. In fact, I prefer the light wt. boots. I have another pair with studs and use it when fishing streams notorious for slick, mossing, slimy bottoms. The felt has worked very well -- only time it has been a problem is as mentioned, very slick bottoms but probably anything would be tricky - and in snow and ice -- the snow will cling to the bottom of the boots as you are walking to the stream and walking become an adventure.

Felt is probably on its way out with some areas having banned it. There was a post here in the last few months listing such areas. I would definitely look at some of the boots with different soles.

If your fishing out of a drift boat, in particular like Fiberglass boats -- but even sometimes the aluminum boats , then you might not want to have studs in your felts as it rips/scrathes up the boat pretty good and doesn't make the boat owner very happy-- if you are fishing with a guide, aske them.

FELT SOLES ARE GOING THE WAY OF THE DINO!
    The banning is growing by the day and many fly shops are no longer selling them.
    Get the Vibram or some other alternative sole.
    Max

Blog Entries

There are many good wading boots out there, and everyone has their personal preference. I recommend trying on the boots you are interested in, and make sure they fit well.

Another thing to consider with studs, either in felt or rubber soles, is that if you step on the fly line with them, it does bad things.

I will keep using felts until they are banned everywhere I fish, if that ever happens. Just picked up a loaner pair today, a Cabelas closeout for $12.44!

+ Reply to Thread