The grass carp are now in the shallows at Bacon Creek. Last night I was fishing off that steep bank on the west side of the lake & had one surface withing casting distance of my 15 ft tenkara rod so I cast my micro jig/strike indicator rig over there. I let it set for maybe a minute but didn't have a take so I cast of another spot a little further up the bank and let it set. After a little while it began moving on it's own so I set the hook. At first it felt like a snag but soon I realized I was connected to a powerful & heavy fish that I had little control over. I tried to bring it to the surface so I could see it before it broke off. It got close, the float was well off the surface, but then it came loose which under the circumstances was probably a good thing. I didn't get to see the fish so I can't say for sure a grass carp but I am 90% sure it was because I did definitely see one before the hookup and because the tactics I was using are as good as anything I've read about for catching grass carp. And another grass carp did surface in front of me before I left the area.
That got me to thinking; grass carp are notoriously spooky and will spook if you cast fly line over them but my fish didn't probably because the line was too thin for them to notice. That leads me to the conclusion that a person could enhance his or her chances of catching a grass carp if he used a long 12 ft leader like are used for bonefish. I also think a fly that looks like moss and/or coontail would work for them.
P.S. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.