+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Alright! It's time to.........................

Quivira National Wildlife Refuge is a place I hold near and dear to my heart. It's an hour and a half drive west of me, and is a major stopover point for migrating birds, especially waterfowl and shorebirds. It's where I hunt ducks and geese a lot.
    Quivira was the name of a local Indian tribe...

So I'm "quivira kid"... Not quite as notorious as the Waco Kid!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

My ame is Steve and I live in Kansas.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

My true name is Steven Henry McGarthwaite, my handle is "PARNELLI"

I have told this true story many times in my life, but there is always someone who has never heard the story....so here is how it goes!

My Basic Training Drill Sergeant Srader was unable to pronounce my last name so he gave me a handle usin my initials (S. H.)

1969, I Corp, Viet man. I inherited a 1948 Dodge 3/4 ton military vehicle from the Korean War era. Trouble is the engine block is cracked, and there are no replacement parts for a 1948 Dodge 3/4 ton military vehicle!

Went on a Scavenger Hunt, at the local junk yard where all military vehicles end up after getting hit by a RPG or blown up by a land mine....
    Where I found a Ford Civilian Sedan that has it back end missing, but under the hood I found a functional 289 cu in V8 & transmission.

Did some other modifications to my 1948 Dodge while installing the Ford V8, Operation Officer, wanted to go a a test drive in my Military Psycho- Hillbilly 3/4 Ton. When the test drive dropped the Major off at the Operation Center Building and when inside with the Major. Operation Sargent looked up from his paper worked, and asked....

"Sir: How was the test drive, Sir!"

Major replied; "Sergeant McGarthwaite should not be allowed to drive nothing but an Army Tent Stake, he think his name is Parnelli Jones!"

Next morning when I went to the motor pool for motor stables, someone had stenciled the word "PARNELLI" on the radiator of my 3/4 ton.
    Ever since that day my handle has been "Parnelli"!

I had the only Military Vehicle in Vietnam that could travel at speed close to 120 mph....my speedometer only went up to 55 mph, so I had to do time trials on the main road between mile markers.....
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-19-2011 at 03:18 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Blog Entries

Well I will give this a go

Flyfishfairwx Lets break it down
    Fly Fish well I like to do that

Fairwx - WX is an military abbreviation for Weather and my last name is Fairweather

From all that I got flyfishfairwx..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I work as a sports turf manager for a university athletics department.
    Grassman

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Mine is my initials plus the year I was born (was my age at the time lol) And been divorced, so the X

Blog Entries

No I am not filled with wisdom of the ages, nor do I roll around in the sagebrush. Very simply, I fish mostly with Sage rods. Hence the name.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm a Sr RF Field Engineer for a cell phone company

Bill

My name is Mark Kopecky, I have been a member of a K-9 Search and Resceu team that has three "Mark's" as members they are Mark B, K, and S. I started using the Mark k to let everyone know which Mark it was, Been using it ever since

Mine is a simple play on the name of the fly... Picked it up after a day of fishing where every single cast of Mickey Finn would land me a crappie... Mike is my nickname since no one can pronounce my first middle and last name correctly. Not even my wife...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread