I am pushing 65 years of age & until I turned 50, I NEVER wore a hat while fishing. Call me lucky, but in spite of a blistered nose & peeling ears, I somehow avoided skin cancer. Then I started wearing a ball cap, then a "boonie hat" for full brim protection. In one of our many discussions, dear old departed friend, Jim Birkholm (Castwell from FAOL), & Ladyfisher, Deanne, suggested I consider a Tilley hat. Those were nice but WAY out of my hat budget. Then I semi-retired & among my gifts was a $75.00 gift certificate to a local store that carried literally NOTHING for the fly fisher. I was thinking about trying to sell the certificate to another customer when I saw a Tilley display. Well, I ended up buying a supposed "over priced" Tilley LTM6 Airflo hat (mine is olive). That was two years ago.....I wear it EVERY fishing trip, to soccer games, zoos with the Grandkids, & literally everywhere I will get a lot of sun (and rain!). If I ever lose that hat, I WILL spend the money for another. It is extremely light weight, and besides providing great sun protection, it literally eliminates side glare which really helps you focus on the fly/line in front of you.
The reason for this post is NOT to market Tilley Hats (I have no ties to them), but to try to suggest to others that hats, particularly full brim hats, are an extremely important tool in the outdoors. Brand is of course up to individual preference but price should not be a deterent to protection & our individual health in addition to function.
Just my opinion & what I feel is a necessary reminder. Regardless of brand, please look at a full brim hat...they definitely serve a purpose.
Mike