+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hats-more than just a stylish "cover"

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Here is my ten dollar thrift shop fishing hat conversion. I'm more of a Fedora guy.

From This
    Hat.jpg

to This
    Hat2.jpg

Interesting.
    I have a leather hat made from reindeer leather (no, not Rudolf), I thought it would be a lifetime companion.
    But it wears badly, I could take it when my wife said it was ugly, but when my fishing partner said the same, I took another look and saw they were right, it's terrible and also too small

So, now I know of this hat next time....

Thorarinn

Thumbs up

If your wife says your hat is ugly then you know it's a fishing hat.
    When your fishing partner calls it ugly, you know it's perfect !

(maybe you could get the Rudolf hat wet and stretch it)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hahaha, that was what I was thinking earlier.
    Then they said...
    Then I thought...

Now I'm confused!

Tilley hats - Made in Canada eh!

Default Trip to Doctor yesterday

101_0571 (Medium).JPG

Results of not wearing hat and sunscreen. Hope the biopsy comes out ok. Hope this is not too dramatic but maybe someone will remember the hat!

Smile

Thanks folks. I'm pleased so many have taken the time to read this thread. I do highly recommend the Tilley. As I stated in my original post, I didn't wear a hat for years & still DO hate the weight & tight feeling of a hat on my head. I often FORGET that I am wearing the Tilley...that's how light & comfortable they are. You really have to try one to really grasp what I'm saying.
    Jack Hise mentioned the loss insurance...It is 50% of Tilley retail for 2 years after purchase.
    Bottom line is that if I have helped to convince ONE person to go to a "full brim" hat, then this thread paid dividends.
    By the way, here I am under my Tilley...

Mike
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 05-13-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

I bought a Tilley from Tilley himself at the Vancouver Boat show in the Mid 1980s. The cost back then was $20.00. He only sold one model in those days and the only color you could buy was bright White. The sign bragged that Tilleys were not sold in stores. Within about 5 years or so I was suprised to see them being sold in finer menswear stores. After my first day out in my boat wearing it on the waters of Okanagan lake in bright sunlight I got a mild case of sunstroke. I believed that the too bright hat was partially the cause so went home and dyed the Hat Navy blue. Next year I wore it to the Vancouver boat show and as I passed the Tilley booth. Tilley called me over and asked to see the hat and asked if I had dyed it. I said yes because the bright white of it plus the glare and reflection off the water was overwhelming. He said that they had realized that and that this year were coming out with a blue hat. Ha ha great minds think alike. The next year his hats offered white with a green underbrim.
    I once lost my Hat overboard in a tidal rapids off Sandspit in the Queen Charlotte Islands but found it the next day at low tide tangled in a mass of kelp.

Years later I paid $50.00 for one and gave it to a friend for his birthday. I learned later that He thought it was an el cheapo hat, He disliked it and gave it away. A couple of years after that He asked me if that hat I had bought him back then was a Tilley. I said yes. He swore some and then confessed to giving it to his brother who from then on teased him about being so dumb. He now wears a Tilley he bought himself for $75.00.

I still have my blue Tilley and wear it almost all the time. I also bought several lifetime guaranteed shirts from Tilley. Which I cannot wear anymore because I expanded several sizes over the years. At least my head is the same size so the hat still fits.

Good thread Mikey!
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 05-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

The praise for Tilley hats on this thread prompted me to buy one a week ago. It is all everything here says it is and I think it was definitely worth the $77 that they charge for one today.

Ted

Default Gotta Get A Stetson

Many years ago....I spent lots of time in that Southeast Asian Country of South Vietnam. I was a issued a cotton "Boonie" hat that only let all the Monsoon Rain pour down the back of my head. I soon traded some large cans of Cherry Pie Filling with a Australian Soldier (yes there were Aussies in Vietnam) for a Dress Aussie Hat (100% Wool). The Aussie Hat keep the rain off my face, and no more cold rain running down my back.

Back in 2002 I bought a Stetson Hat that is 4X Beaver, that I use to this day when outdoors. The wide brim keeps the sun off my head, face, ears and neck. Being out in the rain, my Stetson helps keep my head dry. I store my wallet and fishing license inside the Stetson along with my smokes.

Gotta Get A Stetson..... Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread