+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Search of the Holy Grail

Default In Search of the Holy Grail

A question was recently asked on another online site that got me to wondering. The question was, "What are your favorite searching patterns, the flies you tie on when you have no idea or evidence of what the fish are eating?" The site poled a number of guides, authors, and people in the trade and then published the results in three articles, Dry Flies, Streamers, and Nymphs. The top fly in each category was as follows: Dry - Parachute Adams; Streamer - Wooly Bugger; and Nymph - Standard Pheasant Tail.

My question to the forum is, "What is the one fly you would never leave home without to insure you wouldn't get skunked?"
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Blog Entries

That depends on where I'm leaving home for. My best fly on the Duck River is studiously ignored on the AuSable and probably isn't the best for the Harpeth.

Ed

I agree with the Wooly Bugger for a streamer and the Standard Pheasant Tail for a nymph, but I tend toward a Royal Coachman for the dry. It's a grand old fly and has served thousands well. Including me.
    If you ask me the same question tomorrow, my answer might be different.
    Last edited by Lotech; 05-17-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Just one of many afterthoughts
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Stimulator size 16. Because it doesn't need a hatch to be seen by fish on any river that has a population of stone flies. So you can use it mid day, evening, hatch, no hatch, spring, summer.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Wulff View Post

The top fly in each category was as follows: Dry - Parachute Adams; Streamer - Wooly Bugger; and Nymph - Standard Pheasant Tail.

My question to the forum is, "What is the one fly you would never leave home without to insure you wouldn't get skunked?"
    I would agree with two of those choices as long as the PT was unweighted so it could be fished deep with a split shot or as a floating nymph in the early emerger stage.

I would also not choose the standard parachute adams but tie it with a zelon tail. You can bend the hook of a parachute adams and cut off the tail to change it into a passable Klinkhammer. Then cut off part of the post and you get an earlier stage emerger. You can snip off the post and change it into a passable spinner. You can twist the post and hackle a bit off kilter and get a passable stillborn.

It would be contest for the streamer slot. If it were hopper season, I would choose a Muddler Minnow because it can serve as a streamer and it can pass as a hopper on top. As a pure streamer, I'd choose the wooly bugger.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Grizzly Wulff,

I could easily agree with those top 3 picks - anywhere! I could also put an Ausable Wulff in place of the Adams. The Wooly Bugger (for me) is more a nymphing type fly, although you certainly can swim it, so i would migrate more towards the Black Ghost for a searching streamer pattern. Good thread! Thanks Griz.

Best regards, Dave S.

Elk Hair Caddis.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I always have Baillie's Spiders in my fly box. Of the three original colors, black in size 14 is a must have for me.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have had luck with those choices too, but I usually use the BWO instead of the Adams.
    BWO's have been my "don't leave home without it" fly so far.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J View Post
    I have had luck with those choices too, but I usually use the BWO instead of the Adams.
    BWO's have been my "don't leave home without it" fly so far.

The mention of BWO and Adams in the same sentence reminds me of the OBA, the Olive Bodied Adams as a BWO fly.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread