I think Newfoundlanders are a practical people, a "matter of fact" bunch. I never really gave it much thought, I find it more enjoyable than other methods I suppose, it also lends itself to related activities such as fly tying, rod building(never did this) or what have you.
I love watching a dry fly ride the surface film especially a big bug, , and I love a good rise.
I love fishing in general, and I've gone days without catching and still did it for the entire day(s).
The Newfoundland rugged landscape is nothing short of breathtaking when you come to appreciate it. It offers great moments of thought and reflection. Plenty of Wildlife and natures songs and whispers tend to feed the soul and ease the mind. But I don't need a fly rod to enjoy nature, other activities carry with them a closeness to nature as well.
Having said all that I fish to catch fish and I like the closeness it offers to nature but would not enjoy it the same way if there were no small ensuing battles to contend with.

I'm sure I never covered it all, It would probably take a small novel to convey all that it means to me.

Some of that rugged beauty I spoke off.

Mike,

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 16 April 2006).]